Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 01:28 PM

Unexplained limp in old GSD mix

So 9-10 year old Jade came down with a strange limp yesterday. Not sure why, nothing in specific could have cased it. She's walking a bit better today, but still not right.

She does have mild arthritis, which worsens with poor weather (which we have had lately) but something is weird about this episode. She never limps or favors a leg, she's just a bit stiff.

Also, she usually tries to get away if I bother her bad leg (right leg, same leg she's limping on now) and she always cocks said leg to pee, as it must twinge if she squats. But this time, squatting as normal and she didn't act as if the leg is hurting at all.

I'll try and get a ride up to the vet next week, but I wonder what's wrong? I'm thinking it might be the start of DM since she's a GSD mix. She's dragging the nails pretty bad too on that foot, which strengthens this theory. Poor girl... please wish us luck!

Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Poor Jade,she does look pretty stiff in that leg would try and have it looked as soon as you can.Really hope she's o.k
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Is she on meds for her arthritis Myra?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 02:09 PM
You said you left her with your dad yesterday. Did he notice anything happened that might have caused it? If it's only just started.

You say she has 'mild arthritis' so I assume this was diagnosed by a vet? What did they prescribe for it? Perhaps the dose needs increasing now.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Is she on meds for her arthritis Myra?
When she gets pain, she gets half a baby aspirin.. since her pain is very mild and usually happens only when the weather gets poor.

Long time ago (maybe when she was 6 or so), mom took her to the vet for a mammary growth and while there told him that she was stiff sometimes he examined her and her hips... and said it was likely mild arthritis and he said to give her half a baby aspirin when she got stiff.

We do that, she's not on any vet medication and she does fine... but she never limps, she's just sometimes stiff when rising etc. so this threw me off.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 05:54 PM
It's a worry when something's just not right, isn't it? Wish her well (( hugs)) to Jade.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-06-2013, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
When she gets pain, she gets half a baby aspirin.. since her pain is very mild and usually happens only when the weather gets poor.

Long time ago (maybe when she was 6 or so), mom took her to the vet for a mammary growth and while there told him that she was stiff sometimes he examined her and her hips... and said it was likely mild arthritis and he said to give her half a baby aspirin when she got stiff.

We do that, she's not on any vet medication and she does fine... but she never limps, she's just sometimes stiff when rising etc. so this threw me off.
Her hip looks swollen to me, she is in obvious pain, she needs to see a vet now , not next week..... If you can't get a lift get a taxi

Half a baby aspirin is not going to dull this issue.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-06-2013, 06:40 PM
She does look uncomfortable on that leg. To me it looks like it is coming from the hip. She even looks uncomfortable standing and for a second or two extended the leg to help ease it while standing.
Is it possible you can get her some sort of joint supplement to see if that helps till getting her to the vet for an examination which does need dong sooner rather than later.

Even standing she seems hunched around the hip area.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2013, 07:07 PM
I'm American and taxi's here won't allow you to put a dog into their car. No way, no how. It is coming from the hip, and she was standing oddly and I also saw the "hunched" hip area.

I KNOW she needs to be seen by the vet, and I have every intention of taking her to the vet as soon as I can. She's looking a bit better today.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
I'm American and taxi's here won't allow you to put a dog into their car. No way, no how. It is coming from the hip, and she was standing oddly and I also saw the "hunched" hip area.

I KNOW she needs to be seen by the vet, and I have every intention of taking her to the vet as soon as I can. She's looking a bit better today.
What would you do if you had an emergancy , surely you would not wait till you got a lift next week
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >