Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
That's the best time to let a puppy off! The younger the better! The amount of people who would come to puppy classes with a lively 7 month old puppy and ask when they should start letting it off lead... 'Five months ago!'
Well I'm sure we are talking about different things here. I am talking about just 'walking with the dog off lead' on the streets, anywhere. As I said I would need a safely enclosed area to do it when the dog is a puppy.

Or put another way - I don't expect a young puppy to have road sense or be aware of the danger of traffic. Or even have good recall when you are somewhere where it could just run for miles.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Well I'm sure we are talking about different things here. I am talking about just 'walking with the dog off lead' on the streets, anywhere. As I said I would need a safely enclosed area to do it when the dog is a puppy.

Or put another way - I don't expect a young puppy to have road sense or be aware of the danger of traffic. Or even have good recall when you are somewhere where it could just run for miles.
Yes I see what you mean, although, in general, very little pups will stick very close to their owners and run to them for cover if something startles them. It's when they get to the flight stage that they are more likely to bolt if something happens.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-06-2013, 07:06 PM
Yes I see what you mean, although, in general, very little pups will stick very close to their owners and run to them for cover if something startles them. It's when they get to the flight stage that they are more likely to bolt if something happens.
From Velcro pup to Bogoff dog!
krisE
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Just got back from puppy training, really surprised that we were actually the only ones who have not let her off lead! (All puppies between 12 and 18 weeks)
I am going to have a good practise in the garden tomorrow using the recall tips we were given and then When everyone is home tomorrow eve we are going to try it on the playing fields!! There are 5 of us, so we were told to make a big circle, all have treats and make it into a fun game. wish us luck!
Re the plastic eating, she seems ok so far so we will continue to keep a close eye over the next few days.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Oh the joys of parenthood! Let us know how the practise goes, good luck
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2013, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
From Velcro pup to Bogoff dog!
Haha...made me chuckle. Tonks didn't ever bolt from us but I remember the day she started to run further from me in walks. When they get to that stage you just hang on and put your trust in them and all the training you have put in!
Originally Posted by krisE View Post
Just got back from puppy training, really surprised that we were actually the only ones who have not let her off lead! (All puppies between 12 and 18 weeks)
I am going to have a good practise in the garden tomorrow using the recall tips we were given and then When everyone is home tomorrow eve we are going to try it on the playing fields!! There are 5 of us, so we were told to make a big circle, all have treats and make it into a fun game. wish us luck!
Re the plastic eating, she seems ok so far so we will continue to keep a close eye over the next few days.
Go for it! Keep it fun and exciting and if all else fails run in he opposite direction waving your arms and whooping and hollering! I've even been known to throw myself on the floor examining something really interesting.....and imaginary!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Haha...made me chuckle. Tonks didn't ever bolt from us but I remember the day she started to run further from me in walks. When they get to that stage you just hang on and put your trust in them and all the training you have put in!

Go for it! Keep it fun and exciting and if all else fails run in he opposite direction waving your arms and whooping and hollering! I've even been known to throw myself on the floor examining something really interesting.....and imaginary!

Now I know were Remus gets it from!!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post

Now I know were Remus gets it from!!
Hehe..yes maybe they should check for sanity before they rehome dogs!
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Someone else as mad as I am
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Someone else as mad as I am
: ) it's what dogs do to us! It's always a bit of. A heart in the mouth moment isn't it...first time off lead.

With Remus, I had one walk with him with his foster carer and then picked him up to take him home the next day. He was about four months old. I had Tonks with me and the girls and lots of sausages! We went to a forestry enclosure, made sure he knew I had sausages...let Tonks off first and then, with heart in my mouth, let him off.......and he's still with us three months later. Lol!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >