Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krisE
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-06-2013, 02:07 PM

Puppy swallowed plastic wrapping

Hi,

My 12 week old cockapoo puppy has swallowed a piece of plastic wrapping from a tennis ball tube! (about 1 inch by 2 inches I think)
She seems perfectly fine, and not showing any effects at all, but should I be worried???
Should I do something NOW or is it ok to wait and see of she shows any effects??
Thanks for any advice!
Kris
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2013, 02:56 PM
As this is a very young puppy, I would either take her to your vet or at least ring them to see what they advise.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
As this is a very young puppy, I would either take her to your vet or at least ring them to see what they advise.

I agree, at least phone your vets.

You now have to watch to make sure it comes out the other end, may even have to use a stick to help look for it, good luck.
krisE
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Have phoned the vet. He said should be ok, but watch for vomiting or any signs of distress. I can't believe it, we have been so careful not to leave things around, but she seems to sniff out what she can't have!!
She is doing really well apart from that! And she doesn't chew furniture!, sleeps through the night, walks nicely on the lead, has learnt sit and (sometimes) stay. Has stopped jumping up and grabbing at the children - she now just greets them with a very excited tail wag and literally drops onto her back for a tummy rub!
The only things we really can't master are 'leave it' - she will sometimes but if she really wants it she runs away as fast as she can! And also she will 'come' when training in the garden, but again not when you really want her to, so can't really let her off the lead outside yet!, mind you, she has only been out for walks for a few days, so I'm hoping that will come soon enough!
She will do exactly as she is told when she is on a one to one, but add distractions and she is hopeless! All you experienced doggy owners, are we on track?? Is this normal??!!
We are starting puppy training classes tonight, so hopefully will learn more and also be able to see how others are getting on.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2013, 03:44 PM
Puppies are such a worry and some will eat anything My two still do and it drives me round the bend.

Hopefully she will be fine and the plastic will just work its way through.

It sounds as though she is doing brilliantly with her training. My two again are the most obedient dogs in the world until there is something more interesting going on Good luck on both accounts and I'm sure we'd all love to see some photos.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Hope she will be alright. They are so quick & will fine things to eat that we cannot even see.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2013, 05:33 PM
It's great that you are taking her to the classes. I wouldn't dream of letting a 12 week old puppy off lead when out with them. Not unless I was in a very safely enclosed area and where I'd be able to retrieve her if she decided to run off.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2013, 05:51 PM
You sound to be doing really well with your puppy, and with the best will in the world even the most careful of us can end up with something inside the dog that shouldn't be there!

I am sure your pup will be fine, and you did the most important thing which was talk to your vet.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2013, 05:57 PM
Mine ate tinsel off the Christmas tree once. Was years ago when she was a puppy,didn't know Untill she was dong the biz,lumo green tinsel,whole big string of it Had her checked over at vets but she was fine
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
It's great that you are taking her to the classes. I wouldn't dream of letting a 12 week old puppy off lead when out with them. Not unless I was in a very safely enclosed area and where I'd be able to retrieve her if she decided to run off.
That's the best time to let a puppy off! The younger the better! The amount of people who would come to puppy classes with a lively 7 month old puppy and ask when they should start letting it off lead... 'Five months ago!'
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >