Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-06-2013, 08:32 AM

Our elderly dog has suffered a stroke

Our cocker spaniel Lily is 15 3/4 years old and has always been such a happy, sweet little girl and always had good health so it came as such a shock last Saturday evening when she had a stroke.
Up until yesterday she was making great progress with her recovery and was controlling her bowels/bladder and eating small meals of chicken and rice. On Wednesday she regained the use of her back left leg and was managing to trot a little around the garden without me holding her left side up! We were so happy!
She is still very confused though and disorientated and keeps trying to hide away in corners and on Wednesday night she could'nt keep her dinner down and started being sick and kept being sick yesterday.
I have read up about strokes in elderly dogs and apparently there is not much the vet can do and they just need TLC and round the clock care and love, but we decided to take her to the vet yesterday to get something for the vomiting and hopefully something to help her mentally. I wish we had'nt now, it was an absolute nightmare in the car as the journey takes us about 30-35 mins and she was so distressed it was awful. When we arrived we had to wait for the vet and she actually calmed down when we were waiting but then started to get very agitated again as well as being sick in the waiting room (I took some bags with me just in case) so I decided to wait with her in the car until we were called in but she was just as bad in the car and I honestly thought she would have a heart attack. I was nearly in tears and was just about to say we will go back home when we were called in. She laid on the vets table and seemed to go into some sort of shock with glazed eyes, it was so upsetting.
She was making such good progress up until then. The journey home was another nightmare journey, I just wanted to get her home. When home we let her sleep, she was so bombed out there was no interest in food. So this morning I was up at 4 am and she wagged her tail and seems a little better today. She has some tablets for the sickness and some vivitonin which she has to have 1/2 a tablet twice a day. She has gobbled down her dinner this morning of fish and pasta, so I am hoping she manages to keep this down.
I have to carry her out to the garden to do her wees etc. and she is still very wobbley but I am hoping this will improve.
I know she is very old but if she has another few months of quality life I would be happy.
My husband is very negative about everything which really gets me down as I am a very positive person but I am also realistic. I just don't want to lose her yet if theres a chance for her.
I would like to know if anyone else has had a similar experience with their old doggie!? I found lots of advice on the web but can't seem to find any support groups for this.
Would love to hear from anyone.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-06-2013, 08:38 AM
What did your vet say.
When my Tawney had a stroke she went on vivitonin and it did give her a new lease of life for a couple of months, then she started to have small mini strokes, was always unsteady on her feet after the first stroke (she was also blind for a couple of days) and then finally she had another stroke and was unable to get up, which is when I decided to let her go, she had no real quality anymore and it broke my heart to see her struggle. I still miss her everyday, she was very special to me, but I loved her too much to put her through the indignity of what her life had become. I had to ask myself who I was doing it for, her or me.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Twigs, it's heartbreaking to read this about your lovely girl, so sorry for you and her. I think you're doing everything possible to make her comfortable and its good to hear she isn't vomiting anymore. It's precious time now and she sounds like she has all the TLC she needs,very obvious how much you love her. Think men aren't always good at showing their true feelings, my guess is hubby is breaking his heart too.

((((Hugs))))
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
What did your vet say.
When my Tawney had a stroke she went on vivitonin and it did give her a new lease of life for a couple of months, then she started to have small mini strokes, was always unsteady on her feet after the first stroke (she was also blind for a couple of days) and then finally she had another stroke and was unable to get up, which is when I decided to let her go, she had no real quality anymore and it broke my heart to see her struggle. I still miss her everyday, she was very special to me, but I loved her too much to put her through the indignity of what her life had become. I had to ask myself who I was doing it for, her or me.
So sorry about your dog, its heartbreaking is'nt it. We lost our other cocker in 2010 and still not really got over that (if you ever do). I think I will know when to let her go but I still want to give her the chance to improve first. The vet told me everything I knew already really, having read up on it. She said the vivitonin helps the oxygen supply to the brain so am hoping she will will not be so confused as this is the main problem with her now.
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Twigs, it's heartbreaking to read this about your lovely girl, so sorry for you and her. I think you're doing everything possible to make her comfortable and its good to hear she isn't vomiting anymore. It's precious time now and she sounds like she has all the TLC she needs,very obvious how much you love her. Think men aren't always good at showing their true feelings, my guess is hubby is breaking his heart too.

((((Hugs))))
Thanks so much for you reply, I'm nearly in tears now! I don't have any children and the dogs are my babies so it really is heartbreaking. Its quite a relief to chat to others that understand.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by Twigs View Post
Thanks so much for you reply, I'm nearly in tears now! I don't have any children and the dogs are my babies so it really is heartbreaking. Its quite a relief to chat to others that understand.
You chat away. Many here have been through it and others will at some point. Talking about it really does help.......tears also xx
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm sorry to hear your Lily has suffered a stroke. I have no experience of this but I hope that you are able to have some more precious time together.
xxx
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2013, 09:46 AM
We had a black lab called Julie when I was growing up. My mum and her were like two peas in a pod, remarkable bond between them. I swear they could have told each others thoughts. Last year of Julie's life she was ill,in pain, on meds and like you mum was lifting her outside and into bed etc. She sat up nights with her and took care of her. This particular night,she was in bad shape and mum was rallying round, being mother hen doing everything possible to make her comfortable.She told us this often,she' s says Julie give her a look that night and let her know it was time,she let her know she'd had enough.I really believe that, they were that close. Mum says the old guys will tell us,just need to read the signs.
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-06-2013, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
You chat away. Many here have been through it and others will at some point. Talking about it really does help.......tears also xx
Thank you xx
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2013, 09:55 AM
I am so sorry, I hope you see some improvement and she keeps going for a bit longer.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »