Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-06-2013, 01:42 PM

Grooming a border collie...

What do I need?

She's a 5, nearly 6 month old rough coat.

I currently brush her with a plastic slicker ( not the metal type) brush, then a pin brush, then a flea comb then bristle brush.

I know I definitely need a wide and medium tooth comb but do I need anything else?

I ask because she gets groomed at least once a day, often two and I never feel that I'm getting right down to the skin. I always get a fair amount of undercoat out but I know I'm not getting all of it and going straight from pin to fine tooth comb is awkward, I have to be very carefull not to hurt her as it pulls.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2013, 06:30 PM
If you google "Mikki" you should get there grooming products come up.

I would recommend the Anti Tangle Comb for Fine Coats or dual comb for medium and corse coats for knots and tangles. A pro slicker would really help remove dead hair from the undercoat.
Start from the bottom of the back leg and work your way up, parting the hair with your hands.

The dog should ideally go to the groomers a couple of times a year, particularly when blowing their coat. The grooming process (treatments and process) with really help keep coat in top condition along side your grooming at home. You would be amazed at how much us groomers can brush out in just 1-2 hours