Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Hi NSgirl, we have missed you.

Really sorry to hear of your GSDs joint problems. Must be very worrying for you. What is her weight at the moment? Did your vet weigh her last time you visited? Obviously if she is overweight this will put more pressure on her joints.
I found this physiotherapist in Malaga who offers a variety of treatments including hydrotherapy, so may well be worth checking him out.

http://www.fisio-perros.es/fisioperr...rotherapy.html

This article provides a view that most pills (apart from anti inflamatories) and supplements don't really do much.

http://www.arthritisdogs.net/canine-...-don’t-work-2/

Trocoxil seems to be the current breakthrough drug for the treatment of joint conditions, so it seems she is on the right medication. But it suggests that you give it a break at 5 months, see below:

Info on Trocoxil
Trocoxil is a major breakthrough in the treatment of arthritis in dogs. It is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) in the same class of drugs as Rimadyl, Metacam and Previcox but because of its very slow rate of elimination from the body it only needs to be given once a month!

After the initial dose of Trocoxil the second dose is given 14days later to ensure therapeutic levels are reached in the tissues. The dose is then given once a month for 5 more doses. It is then important to miss a month’s treatment before starting a new round of treatment. This is to ensure the level of drug does not accumulate to above therapeutic levels. In most dogs Trocoxil will continue to provide pain relief during this ‘month off’ period and extra pain relief is not needed. A few dogs however may need to have daily dosing with an alternative NSAID during this ‘month off’ period in order to stay pain free.

Hope this helps
Apache
Just wanted to say I have spoken to the lady on the link you gave me. She sounded really nice and was very sympathetic towards Ailsa's problem. She mentioned that if the cost was too much, 48,00 euros per hour session - then maybe we could just use someone's swimming pool! which might be an option.... I have one or two friends with pools who allow their own dogs in. Also we are surrounded by the Med and although dogs aren't allowed on the beaches, there's a lot of beach accesses where the public rarely venture so that might be an option for her this time of year. She is really dragging her leg now and I can hear it tapping on the floor (her nails). The Physio woman said it might be too far advanced for the hydrotherapy to do any good at this point......I think I am getting to the point where I end my lifelong love affair with GSDs - too many heartbreaking health problems. Thank you so much for your advice. Will keep you posted.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Northernsoulgirl View Post
She has lost a lot of muscle bless her. I'm going to look into the hydrtherapy, maybe if I mention I help out at a rescue then I might get a bit of a discount! can only try can't you. Thanks for the reply.
What about insurance, will they pay ?
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-05-2013, 09:29 AM
She is really dragging her leg now and I can hear it tapping on the floor (her nails). The Physio woman said it might be too far advanced for the hydrotherapy to do any good at this point......I think I am getting to the point where I end my lifelong love affair with GSDs - too many heartbreaking health problems. Thank you so much for your advice. Will keep you posted.
Oh dear poor Ailsa. Sounds like your best bet is taking her to the swimming pool, it has to be worth a try to build up some muscle mass. Try not to get too despondent about GSDs. I have now had 3 of them and didn't get any real problems until they were 11 or 12 years old. I always go for the straight back working line type.

Re. Trocoxil - did this drug help Ailsa? Have you seen an improvement since she has been taking it?
The reason i ask is that my pup went lame a few months ago after a run through the forest. My vet prescribed CARPRODYL, an anti-inflammatory and it stopped his pain within a couple of hours, so much so that he was then able to walk perfectly normally. It is given daily but like all drugs, can have side effects. I was amazed that it worked so quickly. I only gave him the minimum tablets for 4 or 5 days until he could walk normally again, as i dont like giving drugs on principle. But needs must.
Might be worth asking your vet about it if the Trocoxil isnt helping?
Keep us updated and keep your chin up eh? You are all she has.

Another link on arthritis info:
http://www.2ndchance.info/arthritis2.htm
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Following a vet visit this morning, it's kind of good news and not so good news......the good news is it isn't arthritus...not sure whether I'm annoyed that this wasn't picked up before tbh but she had an x ray this morning and the vet thinks the problem is treatable by an operation. I won't go into all the details as it was hard taking it all in tbh but she went through the x ray with me and I could see what she was talking about. She basically has a piece of bone pressing down near her tail end which can be removed to relieve the pressure on her spine. Further up she has a calcium deposit between the vertebrae. Carolina isn't sure which of these two problems is causing the major issue with her legs but feels it's probably the tail end one. The surgeon she has recommended has had good success previously with her clients and is the least expensive of the vets doing this operation (there are quite a few, Malaga is a large city). So, the plan is for me to take her down to Benalmadena once he has seen the x rays and formed an opinion - if he thinks he can help he will sedate her, colour test the area with dye and then take her straight down to theatre if he thinks an op will help. She will be there for 2 days and recuperation will be about a month although she will be able to walk. The total cost of the treatment and operation will be 12 to 15 hundred euros.........I'm not sure whether the insurance will cover this or not, they always seem to manage to find a way out, but either way I am going to have it done. I'm not going to lose my dog for that sort of money. Will keep you posted.
The trocoxil by the way seems to be keeping her pain free.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Fingers crossed everything goes well.((((hugs))))
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Following a vet visit this morning, it's kind of good news and not so good news......the good news is it isn't arthritus...not sure whether I'm annoyed that this wasn't picked up before tbh but she had an x ray this morning and the vet thinks the problem is treatable by an operation. I won't go into all the details as it was hard taking it all in tbh but she went through the x ray with me and I could see what she was talking about. She basically has a piece of bone pressing down near her tail end which can be removed to relieve the pressure on her spine. Further up she has a calcium deposit between the vertebrae. Carolina isn't sure which of these two problems is causing the major issue with her legs but feels it's probably the tail end one. The surgeon she has recommended has had good success previously with her clients and is the least expensive of the vets doing this operation (there are quite a few, Malaga is a large city). So, the plan is for me to take her down to Benalmadena once he has seen the x rays and formed an opinion - if he thinks he can help he will sedate her, colour test the area with dye and then take her straight down to theatre if he thinks an op will help. She will be there for 2 days and recuperation will be about a month although she will be able to walk. The total cost of the treatment and operation will be 12 to 15 hundred euros.........I'm not sure whether the insurance will cover this or not, they always seem to manage to find a way out, but either way I am going to have it done. I'm not going to lose my dog for that sort of money. Will keep you posted.
The trocoxil by the way seems to be keeping her pain free.
What a lucky dog to have you for an owner and you persevering to try to find out everything you can to help.

I have everything crossed here that your insurance WILL cover the cost. Good luck with all of this and keep us informed of progress.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
What about insurance, will they pay ?

Just to answer your question, no, they wouldn't.
Arthritus isn't covered apparently
It isn't arthritus - just found out this morning. I am hoping that the operation will be covered but not holding my breath. Have resigned myself to a diet of not much and no clothes buying for the next few years!
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Thanks Eileen and Tang.x
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2013, 10:15 AM
NSgirl. Try to make quite sure your vets and whoever don't mention the 'arthritis' word in any comms with the insurance company. Insurance companies, banks, they are the legalised crooks - they get a licence to rob you!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

30-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
NSgirl. Try to make quite sure your vets and whoever don't mention the 'arthritis' word in any comms with the insurance company. Insurance companies, banks, they are the legalised crooks - they get a licence to rob you!
I'm afraid I do tend to agree with Tang - So much these days is tied into legality and the interpretation of words

All communication with your insurer should be through yourself. Tell your vet specifically and clearly that if the diagnosos is a bone sticking on the spine to not even think about mentioniong arthritus. Other words and expressions which will be used to avoid paying are "Pre -exisiting condition" no the bone moved after insurance began "Inherited illness" no this bone could not be inherited, any written reports should be sent to you first if you can get the vet to agree to that.

Insurance assesors are so used to questioning vets in such a way that the vet doesn't realise he or she is being 'used'

But you have my deep respect that you will go ahead with the treatment even if you end up paying I am sure Ailsa is worth it.
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »