Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-05-2013, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Well she did not have a seizure in the night which is good, but she is still not OK which is not good, and it was way past midnight before she was settled enough to go to bed, and she wanted to go out a couple of times in the night which meant not much sleep for me.

I will not be able to speak with Dr Ram for another hour yet, and at the moment I am not sure whether she needs an increase in her medication.
I hope you are ok Malka you must be very tired..
..remember you always have your friends here thinking about you...x
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

10-05-2013, 09:03 AM
Spoke with Ram this morning and he suggested increasing Pereg's Pb to 75mg at 7am and also at 11pm, leaving the 3pm at 50mg.

But having thought about it, and knowing that Pb comes in 100mg or 15mg tablets I have just spoken with him again and suggested adding one x 15mg tablet with each 50mg dose. Which will be an extra 45mg/day as against his initial idea of an extra 50mg/day.

If I do that it means I can adjust her medication according to whether she seizes or not.

He actually thinks that is a better idea than increasing her morning and night dose so is going to order some 15mg Pb for me, and is quite happy for me to adjust her medication dosage according to how she is.

I think that I must be the luckiest person ever having a Vet who not only listens but who is prepared to accept my ideas about Pereg's treatment.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Hope it works and Pereg gets immediate benefit from it.
Still got everything crossed that she is over the worst now and you will manage some rest and hopefully some sleep.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2013, 09:27 AM
You're dedication to Pereg is unbelievable.Really hope the new dosage makes a difference.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2013, 09:27 AM
What a fantastic vet!
Fingers and paws crossed things get a little better for you both now x x
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

10-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
You're dedication to Pereg is unbelievable.Really hope the new dosage makes a difference.
No more dedication that anyone would have with a dog like my beloved Pereg.

Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
What a fantastic vet!
Fingers and paws crossed things get a little better for you both now x x
My Vet is wonderful! He listens, he discusses, and he wants the best for Pereg. And he accepts my ideas and suggestions. I guess possibly because he also is epileptic that he is maybe more prepared to listen and discuss than any other vet?
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I did not know that Scooby had seizures but it is not uncommon with elderly dogs. Pereg has Idiopathic Epilepsy which is, as you know, different. And will never go away.

She is finally quiet but I am not sure this episode is over, and her seizures are so violent and then the post-ictal hell. But I have to go to bed and get some sleep. I am so exhausted and do not know what I am talking about now.
Scooby has only just started having them recently and they are really knocking him for 6 at the moment. The main problem I'm having is that Malcolm can't cope with Scooby having a fit and attacks him so Malc is being crated overnight when I can't keep an eye and the first thing I have to do when Scoob has one is remove Malcolm from the room. The first time it happened I had to scruff Malc to get him off (he doesn't wear a collar in the house) which set us back miles with his collar shyness but we're back on track now. He's also wearing a harness indoors so I can grab him if I need to.

I'm sorry to read that Pereg has had another seizure but I am glad you have such an amazing vet who listens and understands. I'll cross my fingers that this dose increase works and I'm sorry I can't help you more through this difficult time.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

10-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrekin View Post
Scooby has only just started having them recently and they are really knocking him for 6 at the moment. The main problem I'm having is that Malcolm can't cope with Scooby having a fit and attacks him so Malc is being crated overnight when I can't keep an eye and the first thing I have to do when Scoob has one is remove Malcolm from the room. The first time it happened I had to scruff Malc to get him off (he doesn't wear a collar in the house) which set us back miles with his collar shyness but we're back on track now. He's also wearing a harness indoors so I can grab him if I need to.

I'm sorry to read that Pereg has had another seizure but I am glad you have such an amazing vet who listens and understands. I'll cross my fingers that this dose increase works and I'm sorry I can't help you more through this difficult time.
Oh Jen, poor Scoobs and poor Malc who obviously does not understand what is happening to Scooby.

Pereg has been quiet today and somehow that is worrying me. But there is nothing I can do, is there? It just almost broke my heart this morning when filling in her diary and having to write "Day 1" again.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

10-05-2013, 05:51 PM
I meant to say that there was a very good free webinar yesterday evening, but of course Pereg had to have a Grand Mal just after it started, but they will be putting it out as soon as it is available and I did not miss much of it.

Was very interesting even though tbh it did not teach me much that I did not already know, but I was very interested in what was said about anti-epileptic drugs. Could have been a bit easier for me had Dr Laurent Garosi had less of a French accent!

What confirmed what I have learned from Pereg is that most, if not all, Grand Mals occur during sleep or heavy dozing, and that they rarely occur during normal daily activities or things like agility. Not that Pereg does agility, but still...

It was very interesting hearing what Dr Laurent had to say about how to treat an epileptic dog - of whatever type of epilepsy they have and from what cause. Not treat as in medication as such, but how to treat them as a perfectly normal dog who just happens to be epileptic.

Oh, and from his photo he is hmmmmm and his accent is hmmmmm and I definitely would not refuse him as my vet!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Look at you, flirting with the doc!
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >