Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 04:33 PM

What is a natural diet?

If Raw is not considered a natural diet for a dog what is considered natural?

I see dogs as scavengers so I would imagine rotting carcasses or freshly stollen prey from other animals.

I would not consider vegetables part of a natural diet unless you count the greens inside the prey animals stomach.

Dogs are descended from wolves so I guess the natural diet would be similar to what they eat.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Whatever they can get their paws on.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 06:53 PM
How on earth can raw feeding not be considered natural for dogs? Do wolves have access to a cooker?

For sure, like us they can survive on junk food - but it ain't natural!
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Dogs aren't wolves...I thought that had been established? If I started a thread in Training and Behaviour about my dogs essentially being wolves I'd be shot down and no wonder.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
Dogs aren't wolves...I thought that had been established? If I started a thread in Training and Behaviour about my dogs essentially being wolves I'd be shot down and no wonder.
What are they then ... plants?

Setting aside the modern day acceptance that dogs are directly descended from wolves, and therefore should have a NATURAL diet akin to their's, why do you think that a diet consisting of raw meat and bones could possibly be un-natural for a mammal that is primarily carniverous. I repeat again ... in nature, there are no cookers!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-07-2012, 07:04 PM
yes, as you say, in Training and Behaviour.

but she is talking about diet, in a section called Diet and Nutrition. nothing wrong with her comment, even if it may not be factual ?
but im guessing that is why she asked a question
do you have any answers for her?

i think the answer is cat sh't

and of course dogs are descended from wolves......
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
What are they then ... plants?

Setting aside the modern day acceptance that dogs are directly descended from wolves, and therefore should have a NATURAL diet akin to their's, why do you think that a diet consisting of raw meat and bones could possibly be un-natural for a mammal that is primarily carniverous. I repeat again ... in nature, there are no cookers!
Not-wolf = plant? Ok.
IMO raw feeding is no more or less natural for the domestic dog that cooked food, scraps and commercial dog food. There are no vaccinations and healthcare for wolves in the wild either. Is that preferable because it's natural?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Not-wolf = plant? Ok.
IMO raw feeding is no more or less natural for the domestic dog that cooked food, scraps and commercial dog food. There are no vaccinations and healthcare for wolves in the wild either. Is that preferable because it's natural?
Hang on - the OP asked the question: "If Raw is not considered a natural diet for a dog what is considered natural?".

I countered with the argument that of course raw IS a natural diet for dogs. In nature, there are are no cookers, no supermarkets selling convenient tins of food and bags of kibble.

Nothing to do with what the domestic dog CAN eat - of course he can eat any old sh*t, and survive well enough to breed and hand down his genes to the next generation, which is what life is all about. But you cannot say that that is NATURAL. It would be like saying that a natural diet for us humans is now Macdonalds, pizza and chips, just because that seems to be what the majority of the population in this country seems to live on! Millions of humans never touch a vegetable, or a piece of fruit, and yet they manage to survive and breed. But no way is this a natural diet for homo sapiens.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 07:27 PM
I'm afraid I don't consider good quality commercial food and appropriate leftover scraps from our plates to be junk/sh*t.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 07:31 PM
I'm afraid I don't consider good quality commercial food and appropriate leftover scraps from our plates to be junk/sh*t.
Fair nuff, your privilege, but I disagree. We are talking about NATURAL here. There is nothing NATURAL about good quality commercial food and appropriate leftover (human) scraps ... these are foods that we CHOOSE to give our dogs, they are not their natural diet, no more than KFC and chips are our natural diet.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »