Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Why 10 outdoors?
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Because I dont like the idea of very old (or very young) dogs outside in extreme heat.
And having organised and judged at companion shows not every one has the common sense to remove the dogs to places of shade.
I once judged a show where a 12 year old veteran was shivering in a gale and driving rain.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 03:19 PM
I think it is a shame that you can't legislate for lack of common sense. I have seen young dogs shivering in the cold and older ones coping fine and vice versa.

Like the agility any size it should be down to the owners ability to realise that their dogs are suffering. Unfortunately they don't always do so and a rossette is more important to them.

I have had 13 year old dogs who were not 'old' and I think 7 is a ridiculous age to be called a veteran----unless you are a very large breed.

I'd rather the lower limit was raised then maybe people would stop thinking their 8 year old dogs were 'old'.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Possibly judges need to be given the power to tell someone that their dog ought not to be shown? Like in HTM or agility you can do it if you think the dog is uncomfortable and struggling.

rune
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Possibly judges need to be given the power to tell someone that their dog ought not to be shown? Like in HTM or agility you can do it if you think the dog is uncomfortable and struggling.

rune
You can do this and I did ask the dog in question (a 17 year old Yorkie ) if he could take the dog into the booking in tent and i'd get someone to get him when Id got to the end of a very large class.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
You can do this and I did ask the dog in question (a 17 year old Yorkie ) if he could take the dog into the booking in tent and i'd get someone to get him when Id got to the end of a very large class.
Sorry---I thought you said it was a 12 year old veteran-----different occassion?

TBH I'd have said no go if it was that bad, it might just make the owners think what they are doing. However that is very hard to do.

rune
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by SmokeyRabbit View Post
I,ve been to plenty dog shows that are kc licenced and its never been advertised that the veteran class has an upper age limit.
Crufts has an upper age limit of 12 for the veteran class & none for the other non age classes so a dog that has qualified for Crufts(by having a stud book numer etc)& is over 12 can be entered in the non age classes for which it is eligible
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Sorry---I thought you said it was a 12 year old veteran-----different occassion?

TBH I'd have said no go if it was that bad, it might just make the owners think what they are doing. However that is very hard to do.

rune
Same show different dog was in August absolutely freezing I sent the 12 year old sheltie into the booking in tent as well. Someone said pity we couldnt all go in there, I was diplomatic for once and didn't reply pity you can't all use some common sense and leave the oldies in the cars til the last minute or better still at home in front of the fire
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2011, 04:46 PM
I am talking companion joedeeuk I wouldnt know open,champ,crufts rules as I ve never had a pedigree dog registered in my name at kennel club so I wouldnt have seen there rules re:age limits.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by SmokeyRabbit View Post
I am talking companion joedeeuk I wouldnt know open,champ,crufts rules as I ve never had a pedigree dog registered in my name at kennel club so I wouldnt have seen there rules re:age limits.
Well you did write

[QUOTE]I,ve been to plenty dog shows that are kc licenced and its never been advertised that the veteran class has an upper age limit.[/QUOTE]

How am I to know that you meant companion shows only ???
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >