View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2011, 01:34 AM

Does a show organiser have a right to tell you you cant enter veteran class?

I was on a social network and noticed someone advertising a companion dog show for next year kc licenced whose capped entry to veteran class at 7-12years old.I know discover dogs also dont allow older dogs to enter but that i understand as its at earls court,but when i challenged organiser they said there show there rules, shouldnt it be owners decision i know someone with a fit healthy 14yr old gsd that still shows and obviously that couldnt at this one,my question is are they denying the charity profit or is it fair to say dogs shouldnt be entered at 13 years and over? should owners have to seek veterinary advice before taking an older dog to a show and i am not talking open or champ here,the one i saw advertised was a kc companion dog show i wont be going as miles from me,but i think organiser is taking away dog owners choice surely owners can tell if there dog fit enough to participate in a local dog show and i was told i was asking a stupid question when i enquired why the limit was in place.
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2011, 06:24 AM
sorry - it really is a case of 'their show their choice'- it's up to the organisers to decide on the classes not the exhibitors - if you don't like it them simply don't go !
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 07:52 AM
What she said, the organisers of Companion Shows can decide their own criteria for classes.

I have never seen a limit on age in Champ or Open Shows though as the KC Red Book does not have an upper age limit, only a lower one.

For all you know the Insurance Company may have stipulated this.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 09:40 AM
I would imagine it`s on welfare grounds. TBH I would support it.
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2011, 11:33 AM
If it is on welfare or insurance grounds then that should in my opinion be stated on schuedule as I know people that have travelled miles to support a charity myself excluded.

I CANT go anyway,but surely when a questions asked they could at least explain further instead of saying my show my rules,i dont think I explained this very well last night I just didnt see show advertised and contact organiser,a draft schuedule was put out into a forum that dog owners frequent asking for opinions on schuedled classes and if we thought changes could be made,classes added or removed etc,if its there show there rules why put draft on a public site and bite peoples heads off when they express an opinion that they asked for in the first place.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 12:32 PM
If it's KC licensed you usually also have to abide by their rules which will be the same as Discover Dogs.
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2011, 01:23 PM
I,ve been to plenty dog shows that are kc licenced and its never been advertised that the veteran class has an upper age limit.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Just looked on the KC site and I can't actually find an upper age limit.
It's obviously up to the organisers who feel that some dogs are too old to be shown.
To be honest I do sympathise both ways whilst your friends dog is obviously fit enough to compete I have seem 12 year old dogs suffer being shown when they obviously weren't fit enough.
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2011, 02:02 PM
I ve seen some kc shows with two veteran classes one 7_10 and one 11 years and over.if any of you were organising a show what would you set veteran age limit at and why.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 02:22 PM
It depends to be honest wether it was indoors or outdoors.
If it was indoors I'd probably wouldn't bother too much but outdoors would like to see the upper age limit at 10.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »