Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2011, 11:50 PM

Not for competition

Is the age limit always 4 months or can it sometimes be different? Do you have to have a competing dog to take a NFC dog with you. Would like to get Ishy used to the atmosphere but the schedule doesnt say say anything about NFC except its a pound. Please help
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 02:04 AM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
Is the age limit always 4 months or can it sometimes be different? Do you have to have a competing dog to take a NFC dog with you. Would like to get Ishy used to the atmosphere but the schedule doesnt say say anything about NFC except its a pound. Please help
If your talking about a champ show then yes you have to have a dog entered (as far as know, at least you do at Bournemouth) as they use your benching number etc.
if its an open show which I'm assuming it is now i've read the price (its very late ) Id give the sec a ring especially as 4 month can be at the descretion of the club it used to be 6 months.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 08:42 AM
I would give the secretary a call and ask and tell them your reasons.

At Merseyside SBT Club we use the forms the KC sent to every sec and allow people to bring in their unentered dogs on the day. This was done mainly to help people who bring along dogs not beimg shown and then leave them in the car.
The side effect has been that more people have brought along pups especially first timers just to see what its all about.

All three Lakeland Terrier clubs do the same thing also.

These are breed clubs and general societies may depending on the facilities they have and if they can accomedate unentered dogs.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 08:42 AM
I think it is still 6 months at general champ and general open shows but 4 months at breed clubs. The schedule should include information on age limit of dogs - if in doubt give the secretary a call.

Any dogs going to the show must be entered or entered Not for competition - I think the age limit should be lowered though as like you say its good to get them used to the atmosphere.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
I think it is still 6 months at general champ and general open shows but 4 months at breed clubs. The schedule should include information on age limit of dogs - if in doubt give the secretary a call.

Any dogs going to the show must be entered or entered Not for competition - I think the age limit should be lowered though as like you say its good to get them used to the atmosphere.

That is not true any more. The rule changed a few years back all secretaries got a book with forms in for people to fill out on the day. They just have to sign a declaration re dogs health and keeping it under control.
Not all clubs use them and they don't have to but they are available if the clubs wants to use them. I have just given four breed clubs that I know do use them.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks all, it is an open show, in fact her first ever show I think will be an open show at this place.

I have emailed the secretary so fingers crossed. She let me stack her for a whole minute yesterday, shes becoming a good girl
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
Thanks all, it is an open show, in fact her first ever show I think will be an open show at this place.

I have emailed the secretary so fingers crossed. She let me stack her for a whole minute yesterday, shes becoming a good girl

The rule that was changed to 4 months was for Obedience shows at first & then for some Breed shows, as far as I can remember without my KC Rule book, it's single breed shows & single group shows.

For non exhibitors at a show it's up to the show if they allow"spectator"dogs at their shows
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
[/B]

That is not true any more. The rule changed a few years back all secretaries got a book with forms in for people to fill out on the day. They just have to sign a declaration re dogs health and keeping it under control.
Not all clubs use them and they don't have to but they are available if the clubs wants to use them. I have just given four breed clubs that I know do use them.
Can you show me on the kennel club site this rule please - as most schedules I see STILL have this rule? I knew it had changed to 4 months for breed and heard a champ show trialled it but didn't know the rule had changed.

It would be interesting to know the rules and be able to quote it to secretaries as of course everyone wants to take their youngsters to shows as early as possible for the experience.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Even though they KC have given the option for clubs to allow unentered dogs in with the means to hold owners responsible it is entirely up the the clubs or shows for them to make the decision. It is still not your right.

Which is why it has been advised to check with the secretary first.

The letter to all secretaries and the book of entry slips were sent a couple of years ago. We got them when I was a secretary so any time from 2005.

If you want to know the rules you can purchase an up to date year book and it has all the rules in.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
Can you show me on the kennel club site this rule please - as most schedules I see STILL have this rule? I knew it had changed to 4 months for breed and heard a champ show trialled it but didn't know the rule had changed.

It would be interesting to know the rules and be able to quote it to secretaries as of course everyone wants to take their youngsters to shows as early as possible for the experience.
Spectator dogs are different to NFC entries from an exhibitor with other dogs entered at the show

Kennel Club Press Release:

As part of its commitment to the objective of 'popularising canine activities focusing on the retention of existing customers and the attraction of new', and of enabling those canine societies who wish to help in this regard to do so, the Kennel Club has decided to amend its regulations regarding spectators attending shows with their pet dogs.

At its meeting on July 5th 2005, the General Committee agreed to amendments in the Show, Agility, Obedience and Working Trial Regulations that will allow a society, at its own discretion, to admit spectators into its show/event when accompanied by their dog. This will provide an opportunity for potential exhibitors/competitors to ask questions of experienced exhibitors, breeders and competitors, and learn more about the world of showing dogs, without having to leave their dog outside the show.

For the benefit of all those attending shows, owners of 'spectator dogs' will be asked to complete a short entry form which will require the owners' details, and confirmation that the dog is healthy and will be kept strictly under control. The society will retain the discretion to refuse entry if dogs appear unhealthy or are badly controlled.

This new amendment does not affect the regulations regarding those exhibitors who have already entered and wish to bring additional dogs to a show. These dogs must still be entered 'Not for Competition'.

A copy of the Spectator Dog Entry Acceptance book will be sent along with a covering letter to all those societies holding shows. The Regulation amendments do not apply across the board to General & Group Championship Shows. T, as these shows will still need to apply individually for permission from the Kennel Club to admit spectators' dogs.

27/7/05

ENDS
For further information please contact
Press Office
020 7518 1008 / 1020
pressoffice@the-kennel-club.org.uk
From the KC FAQ page

Q.At what age can I begin exhibiting my dog?

A. Only dogs of 6 calendar months and over on the first day of the Show are eligible for exhibition at Kennel Club licensed shows. However, societies may accept 'Not for Competition' entries at their discretion. Dogs aged 4 calendar months and over are eligible to enter 'Not for Competition' at Single Breed and Sub-Groups Shows.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >