Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Hi Steph and welcome to Dogsey.

I do not know if you noticed that this thread is three years old and I do not know whether there has been an update since then.

With regard to Gabapentin it is normally used for epileptic dogs who focal, partial and mixed seizures. Not for major epilepsy or as s a pain-killer, and I have heard many reports of epi dogs "climbing the walls" when given Gabapentin.
This ^^ is not entirely correct, Gabapentin is prescribed by some consultants for the treatment of neurological/spinal pain. I wouldn't know how usual that is across the board, but I don't think it is so unusual either. I was offered it to try out for my dog, but I decided not to go with it.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
This ^^ is not entirely correct, Gabapentin is prescribed by some consultants for the treatment of neurological/spinal pain. I wouldn't know how usual that is across the board, but I don't think it is so unusual either. I was offered it to try out for my dog, but I decided not to go with it.
Gabapentin is a human drug and was once prescribed for me [I have major spinal vertibrae/spinal cord damage]. I ended up in the ER halucinating after one dose.

It is also used for epileptic dogs as an anti-epileptic drug, and it also has some "climbing up the walls".

But then again Valium, which is a sedative and frequently used as a cluster-buster for epileptic dogs, sends some flat out but also sends some "climbing up the walls".

It is one of the many drugs I would never take again for myself, and will never ever give to my epileptic dog.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2013, 10:58 PM
To be fair - different medications affect different people differently. Ditto for dogs.

I don't think you can issue 'blanket warnings' or 'blanket recommendations' for stuff like this.

You need to rely on a veterinary professional and then see how it affects YOUR dog.

There are drugs that help millions of people but badly affect others. Of course they shouldn't be banned or avoided on account of the few badly affected. Ditto for meds for dogs.

Not to sound callous but 'suck it and see' seems to apply here. Coupled with the common sense to realise that whatever the claims for its efficacy are - if it is not doing the 'trick' for YOUR dog - stop it and take further advice.

I have two dear friends who are epileptic. One is manageable and the other is not. It would not be right for the one who just cannot find the right drugs to stabilize them to tell the other that they shouldn't be taking them if they are 'working' for them.
sbats2013
New Member!
Female 

09-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Hi Malka
Thank you for that No I hadn't noticed the date..Silly me, as you can probably tell I dont use forums very often but was just looking for someone whos dog maybe experiencing the same as Holly.
I did look into Gabapentin and saw that it was used to treat dogs with epilepsy so couldn't understand why she gave Holly these, but it was very distressing to watch her.
I did have a springer a few years ago that was epileptic and she was on phenobardatone for 9 years which she responded to very well.

I certainly wont be entertaining gabapentin again.

Have a great day

Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Hi Steph and welcome to Dogsey.

I do not know if you noticed that this thread is three years old and I do not know whether there has been an update since then.

With regard to Gabapentin it is normally used for epileptic dogs who focal, partial and mixed seizures. Not for major epilepsy or as s a pain-killer, and I have heard many reports of epi dogs "climbing the walls" when given Gabapentin.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3