Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Niks
New Member!
Female 

08-07-2012, 06:22 PM

New Dry food recommendations please...

Hi

I have a GSP who is just over 13 months, I've had her for around 10 weeks and as her life was changing lots I wanted to keep some constants one of which was the food she is on, now I feel I want to change, hence hopeful help from you guys.....

She is currently fed Wagg Workers, which she seems fine on and I'm not looking to change for change sake but simply as a lot of the reviews I read aren't good, however what do I change to? Recommendations good or bad, please.

I understand what works for one may not for another however I think recommendations are better, thanks in anticipation
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 06:29 PM
I have found Burns works well for my two kibble fed boys. Both have had bad reactions to food in the past and burns was the first dog food that settled them down so I stuck with it. It's more affordable than the really highly quality stuff like orijen so I can actually afford to use it everyday
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Well the WAGG beef worker consists of the following:

Wheat, Meat Meal (min 10% beef in red kibble), Wheatfeed, Digest, Poultry Fat, Linseed, Beet Pulp, Peas (min 4% in pea kibble), Maize, Lucerne, Minerals, Yeast (0.08%), Citrus Extract (0.04%) & Yucca Extract (0.01%)

I am sure millions of dogs do well on this, however I would not feed something which contained wheat let alone was the largest single ingredient.

It also contains wheatfeed and maize so is basically grains.

Now for me I prefer to feed Orijen as it is completely cereal free.

However it aint cheap.

There is

Fish4dogs

amongst others which are grain free

Then there are premium brands which do contain some cereal, if I was going to choose one it would be one that preferably contained only one or two and oats/rice in that order.

Arden Grange

And then there are cheaper foods

So a lot will depend on your finances, views and of course what suits YOUR dog. Not all foods suit all dogs.

Not sure if that helps any.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Orijen here too although Acana wild prairie is made by the same people but has more fruit and veg than orijen
Orijen is..... 80% meat 20% fruit and veg
Acana is.....60% meat 40% fruit and veg
same quality ingredients but cheaper (slightly)
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 07:22 PM
There are a few good quality dry foods.

Such as James Wellbeloved, Arden Grange, Wainwright's, Burns, Fishmongers, fish4dogs and Barking Heads. They are of a better quality than Wagg.

Skinners and CSJ are of a reasonable quality too and are inexpensive.

Have a look at them all. Also search this site too.
Niks
New Member!
Female 

08-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Thanks keep them coming

I realise that Wagg isn't the best but felt when I got her enough was changing and it was what she was used to eating so felt that change could wait.

Been doing lots of reading of reviews and tying myself in knots finding something then changing my mind - really want the, the most likely to suit so not to cause upset to her.

Thought of Orijen but then read review about bones causing issues and subsequent ones where people just look to fish them out, which made me wary.

All other names mentioned I've been reading up on too.

Thanks all
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Niks View Post
Thought of Orijen but then read review about bones causing issues and subsequent ones where people just look to fish them out, which made me wary.

Thanks all
Bones? In Orijen?
Niks
New Member!
Female 

08-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Bones? In Orijen?
Seemingly some small sharp shards, had almost set myself on this one but that made me keep looking, given you use I assume this hasn't ever been an issue? Some reviews may get extra drama by some too, hence post here to see what real people thought
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Lots of people have had problems
With Orijen being too rich. How about Arden Grange? Our lot did well on it pre
Raw
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2012, 07:59 PM
CSJ do a 'no grainer' dry food too that looks pretty good. I've looked at it myself for Whisper but she doesn't have any kibble any more, just wet food.

I have had a sample of the Orijen senior as I was thinking about using that - definitely no bone shards! Whisper ate the Orijen far more readily than the Fish 4 dogs - but in the end much prefers her wet food without any kibble at all.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >