Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2010, 10:32 PM

Swollen face

Wondering whether anyone has any ideas. The right side of my face is swollen and painful, can hardly open my mouth to eat with it. I had a monster headache, stiff neck and slight fever over the weekend and yesterday woke up looking like a hamster and feeling rotten. Dental problems have been ruled out, doctor is clueless and google is telling me I have mumps. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing it? The same thing happend 4 or 5 months ago too and we never found out what was causing it, it went away after about a week.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2010, 10:35 PM
I`d have suspected mumps too. I`d go back to the Doc if i were you.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Thanks, going to go back tomorrow as they told me to go back if it got worse. Thing is, I had mumps 3 times as a kid so would have thought I'd be immune by now!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 04:52 AM
Poor you, sounds really nasty. Hope it clears quickly honey

x0x
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 06:11 PM
I would have thought you were immune to mumps as well. It really annoys me when a Doctor says they don't have a clue - they should then investigate further. Hope your visit today was more fruitful and really hope you are better soon.
xxx
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Could your saliva gland be blocked?
It happened to me once. Very painful. It did eventually clear and I had tests to investigate for stones, which was never proved.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 07:27 PM
have you got a sore throat? I thought maybe glandular fever which only a blood test can confirm.
Hope you feel better soon whatever it is x
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 09:14 PM
My son arrived back from uni on Saturday and since then his neck and face have swollen up hugely. Some of his mates from uni were diagnosed with mumps just before he left. He had the MMR jab as a baby which will hopefully give him a head start fighting it off. He's been taking strong painkillers and pressing a gell pad from the freezer against his neck, poor lad.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2010, 11:50 PM
Well, good news is that it's not mumps. Bad news is that they still aren't sure what it is. Doctor reckons either a sinus infection, skin infection or some sort of gland is infected. So I have a course of antibiotics. They've checked my ears, throat, mouth, nose and all sorts.