Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 05:22 PM

Advise please - my dog bit another dog

Bear with me, I'm a bit upset at the moment..

I just had a knock on our door and two ladies, who I know live up the road asked if I owned a husky. I don't, she is a Northern Inuit I told them, but it was my dog they were talking about.

They said they thought we should know that earlier she had bitten their puppy.

I asked when/where etc? My son takes her for a walk round the block after school and apparently their puppy ran out of their house and Inca bit it. They did say perhaps she was scared and being defensive as it had ran at her very fast, but it had quite bad bite marks.

I did ask what sort of dog it was, a dalmation. Apparently she had met their other dalmation before and wasn't keen then. So they knew she didn't like dalmations.

I apologised and thanked them for telling me. They said they thought they had to after 'all thats been in the papers recently about aggressive dogs'.
They also asked if I could let her off the lead, being a husky. I said again she wasn't a husky, so yes I could. Although, she is never let off the lead unless with myself or OH in the wide open spaces.

There are two huskys near here, who they know, who I have been told are not dog-friendly, though I myself have never had a problem when meeting them out walking as we are all on leads, so a friendly hello to their owners and thats that.

I asked my son what had happened, he said the puppy ran loose out the house when they went past. There is no front garden, their house opens onto a very small communal green that you walk round when going 'round the block'. They sniffed and Inca bit it so he pulled her away and carried on walking.

Inca has never done this before with a strange dog. Once another dog did it to her, and Inca and Tonto have their occassional spats when deciding who is boss, but nothing serious.

My son overheard what they were saying at the door and although we told him that we must know about things like this, he is now crying as he thinks Inca is going to be put down.

Advise & opinions please as my head is spinning at the moment.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 05:34 PM
How old is your son if you don't mind me asking?

Maybe she just doesn't respect his 'authority' over her.

How old is Inca? is she in or about to come into season?
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 05:38 PM
Oh how upsetting for you. Its awful when people come knocking on your door complaining, whether it be about children or dogs.

I think that it is good that you know about the incedent but honestly I don't think it is much to worry about. Maybe there were clear signs that Inca was giving to warn the puppy to stay away and it just kept coming and as she couldn't run away being on lead she gave a defensive bite. I mean if it were only a pup and she a NI she could have done alot of damage if she had wanted too. Perhaps she was feeling protective over your son too.

Your poor son. Maybe this will teach these ladies to make sure that their puppy cannot run into the street anymore.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 05:38 PM
I think in view of the fact you have apologised and said that it won't happen again there is not much more you can do.

How old is your son though? Perhaps they were hinting that Inca should have been with an adult. I think I would do the dog walking myself from now on just to avoid any more incidents like this.

IMO they should have been more careful with their pup, it could have been one of the Huskys that got the pup and then the outcome could have been worse. Or the pup could have run near/on a road and been involved in a road accident either injuring itself or someone else. They could then have been liable for damages.

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying, it's over and done with. Hugs to your son, he is obviously worried.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
How old is your son if you don't mind me asking?

Maybe she just doesn't respect his 'authority' over her.

How old is Inca? is she in or about to come into season?
My son is 14, and about 5'8'' (tall like me).

Inca was 2 in August and has been done.
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2006, 05:57 PM
I have had similar problems and being a dal owner myself (dont get me wrong i looove my breed!) but they are quite intimidating to other dogs as they are one of the most bouncy, dont take no for an answer puppies.

I suspect this is just a one off but it doesnt mean you shouldnt be aware of further "encounters".

Having had a very similar problem myself when Diz was a pup i got some really good advise (including some timeless advise from SB) i will try and find it and pm you a link.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 05:59 PM
Is Inca used to puppies? Puppies can be like little aliens to some adult dogs, so maybe Inca was just really freaked out by it
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by duboing View Post
Is Inca used to puppies? Puppies can be like little aliens to some adult dogs, so maybe Inca was just really freaked out by it
No, not really. The nearest she would've seen to this puppy is our Tonto (JRT) who is the same size, and colouring as this Dalmation.

The only problem we've ever with her and other dogs is that she gets so excited and wants to play, but being big can be rough, so she's always on her lead if in doubt when other dogs around.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2006, 06:07 PM
Oh dear.
Such a shame this has happened. At least they called to talk to you instead of running to the police. Pups will be pups and dogs will be dogs.
If it was me I'd call round to them tomorrow with a gift for the puppy and to check how things are. This will also give you a chance to see how "bad" the injouries are.

Good luck. :smt002
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-10-2006, 06:09 PM
At least your dog was on a lead the puppy wasn't so I think your listening to them and apologising should be enough.Technically their puppy was out of control running loose.It could of been a lot worse than a couple of bites from Inca.Hoping your Son is feeling a little better now.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »