View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2010, 07:33 AM
We used to get about 6 rural foxes in this area. I love them, and feed them every night - I know this is not approved of by some, but hey ho.

The numbers seem to have reduced and I've only seen one or two this year. The food disappears every night, but I have my doubts as to whether it's the foxes eating it, or the cats and dogs.

On the way out yesterday, there was a freshly killed fox in the road - it almost reduced me to tears......
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2010, 01:09 PM
I love foxes and we always have them passing through up here, but the most I usually get to see is a glimpse, or more often signs they have been around (poo! ).

As I live on a grouse moor though they are unfortunately relentlessly persecuted by the gamekeepers, so I would actually prefer to see less signs of them around - and hope they have found somewhere safer to live and bring up their families.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2010, 01:42 PM
We've not had as many round here - they would keep me awake at night with their screaming

I suspect it's a combination of the weather, and the relentless termination of them by the locals (which I've not too bothered about)

We have a game hatchery within a mile or so from us, and they are red-hot on pest/vermin control, so they take care of a lot of them. Plus our next door neighbour has shot 3 or 4 very recently in his garden/fields, after some sustained attacked on their hens and some young goats.
Shanik
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Plenty of tracks in the snow where we are, criss-crossing the fields, especially in the last month or so.

I was delighted to hear the calls of Oystercatchers returning through the night just two days ago, a sure sign that Spring is on it's way!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-03-2010, 06:19 PM
I have just realized reading this haven't heard the foxes round here this year. Could they be mating later due to the very cold weather ?
rigsbydoodle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2010, 07:47 PM
I keep hearing them howling at night too - wakes me up LOL. Dog doesn't seem to be bothered at all. No shortage here tho!
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2010, 08:53 PM
we had 2 living near us. and now thers 5 and they are in fantastic condition. everyone feeds them, (myself included sometimes)
and yes they kick up a noise dont they.
and our lot are semi tame
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2