View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 12:18 PM

Misty and magic are going for a check up.

My chinchilla's are heading to the vets for a check up, I looked them over last night and their feet are starting to look bad again, so we're heading up to see if they need any more medication, and also to have their teeth checked over as they are from unknown parentage and rodents so I just like to keep on top of getting them checked. Also I don't really know their ages, I think that they originally came from a petshop too, which isn't helpfull in the least.

And I've also got to pick up some rabbit wormer too, which means another month of worming, what fun is it having pets
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 04:21 PM
how did they get on? they are such lovely creatures. i hope everything was ok.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
how did they get on? they are such lovely creatures. i hope everything was ok.
I've got to wait for Monday when the vet whose better with small animals is in
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I've got to wait for Monday when the vet whose better with small animals is in
good luck for tomorrow. i hope everything will be ok. xx
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Well I've been, it wasn't the best of luck, Misty is on medication for her feet, they both had sore feet when I got them, as they were housed on wire cages, without any rest areas apart from their beds, and hers have got bad again, so she's had a antibiotic shot incase theres any infection, and I will monitor it over the next few days, Magic's news isn't good either though, they looked at the back of his teeth, and a few seem to be growing abnormally, so he's booked in for a dental, for tomorrow, its not a emergency yet, but they want to have to a good look to see what is happening, and prevent it getting worse.

The one thing I didn't ask for though was how much it was going to cost, as it cost £30 just to get them both in today, luckily I have some money put away, but I'm hoping that it doesn't cost too much, and apart from that I'm worried about Magic and the anesetic, as the last animal that I had put under was Drew, and that went all wrong, but its a different vets now, and Magic has been under for a neuter, so hopefully he'll be fine.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2010, 04:31 PM
oh i'm sorry it wasn't brilliant news but at least they are getting the care and love now that they deserve. how anyone can think it is acceptable to keep any animal in a wire bottomed cage is beyond me. it sounds like you are doing more prevention that cure which is great though.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Apparently its common practice to house chins on wire as its meant to keep them away from soiled bedding, which is done by taking away the dirty bedding surely.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2010, 10:22 PM
that is outrageous!! how much harder is it to remove soiled bedding than to try and repair the damage to the poor creatures feet!! oh i do despair sometimes of how we 'treat' animals.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
that is outrageous!! how much harder is it to remove soiled bedding than to try and repair the damage to the poor creatures feet!! oh i do despair sometimes of how we 'treat' animals.
It gets worse if you get into the show side, wire is still used, but they also keep them in smaller cages so they can't jump around too much and damage their coat, they also house them separetly so that their coats cant be damaged by grooming each other too, and for two days before a show the chin will have its sand bath taken away so it wont have a dusty coat. And imo all that is bad, for health reasons for their feet, and because chins are naturally social active creatures and bathing in sand is a natural behaviour for them. And for these reasons I've been struggling to find a chin breeder that I like as I was looking to add another but couldnt but from somewhere like that, I even got told that I was letting my chinchillas out for too long each day aswell.