Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

16-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
excellent post Eunice,

completely agree, I was actually looking back through my video catalogue of all the silly little video clips i have of luca and bruno enjoying each other, and when he is older and perhaps Bruno is no longer with us, I know I will cry my little heart out when I watch them again.

For us they make our family complete and I cant imagine having to contemplate giving my dog up.

I have to say I got asked 3 times by 3 different people, "when i was getting rid of the dog" when I was heavily pregnant and walking Bruno.... i was astounded that its considered normal...
Yes thanks Dani .You have some lovely memories recorded there for Luca to treasure when he is a bit older,

Had a little snigger at your coment about being astounded that people consider it normal, I wonder really what their take is on NORMAL, as it is obviously a a lot different from yours and mine
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Working in a large rescue center I would probably agree this is one of the biggest reasons people give up their dogs, along with moving to rented property and not allowed to have pets. divorce/partner left. working long hours.

When people bring in their dogs for rehoming because they are pregnant I have asked is the dog badly behaved? how is the dog with children? more often than not the dog is fine, but they feel its unhealthy having a dog a and new baby because of hairs etc, I personally grew up in a home with family dogs, I had dogs when my daughter was born, my daughter grew up around dogs and learned to respect them and have a love of them, I personally feel a dog in the home with children is a good thing so long as the dog is well trained and children are taught to respect them.

Mo
ssmith80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Hard to say, a lot of my friends think its important for their kids to be raised around dogs, and the dogs have been there since the children were born.

I do know a few people that have rehomed boistrous dogs once they've had children - Personally i think this is the sensible option.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 10:29 AM
this link gives you the stats from Rottweiler resuce trust, they list the reason for every dog being put in rescue,,
http://www.rottweilerrescuetrust.co....sforrescue.htm
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by ssmith80 View Post
I do know a few people that have rehomed boistrous dogs once they've had children - Personally i think this is the sensible option.
Personally I think this is the selfish option. I can see that in a very few cases it may be the only solution, but generally people who do this are just lazy and selfish.

Do such people have no idea they wanted a family when they were getting the dog?

Did the baby suddenly just appear as if by magic, giving the owners no time at all to train the dog?

9 months notice should be plenty of time to work with a boistrous dog, getting in professional help, if necessary.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Oh shona just had a look at the website!!
They are so beautiful I wish I could have another
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
this link gives you the stats from Rottweiler resuce trust, they list the reason for every dog being put in rescue,,
http://www.rottweilerrescuetrust.co....sforrescue.htm
What depressing reading - those poor dogs
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

16-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Personally I think this is the selfish option. I can see that in a very few cases it may be the only solution, but generally people who do this are just lazy and selfish.

Do such people have no idea they wanted a family when they were getting the dog?

Did the baby suddenly just appear as if by magic, giving the owners no time at all to train the dog?

9 months notice should be plenty of time to work with a boistrous dog, getting in professional help, if necessary.

I agree Hali It would seem to be for these lazy selfish people the easy option, they seem to conveniently forget that dogs are not inanimate objects like a car to be be traded in for another model just because it no longer serves their purpose , because something better has come along in the form of a real baby and not a canine one.

These type of people should never have taken on a dog in ther first place.
ssmith80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-09-2008, 11:06 AM

My comment was based on a friend who is a single mum. The labby had always been playful and a bit boistrous and this was why she liked him! I don't think it was a training issue. There are also other issues that come into play, the first one that comes to mind is money!

I would also like to add that no, people don't always plan families - and people don't always have 9 months to prepare! Sometimes these things happen and difficult decisions have to be made for the benefit of everyone, including the dog.

My friend had most definitely always loved the dog, but knew that on her own she wouldnt be able to give him the time and attention he deserved once she had the baby to deal with. He went to a lovely home, she still visits him from time to time.

Depending on peoples circumstances rehoming the dog can sometimes be the better option.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
Oh shona just had a look at the website!!
They are so beautiful I wish I could have another
What depressing reading - those poor dogs
Its very sad, I have been in touch with the couple who run this rescue, had a few really nice conversations with them, I will be helping them raise funds from now on, they do such a great job
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >