View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ssmith80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-09-2008, 11:12 AM
just to add (i miss this off the end!!) ive no doubt that in the future i'll be having children myself.

i would NEVER rehome my dogs! i look forward to raising my children around them, and for my dogs to have someone else to grow old with!

i was only trying to be sympathetic to other peoples situations with my comments i dont expect everyones situation is the same as mine
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by ssmith80 View Post
just to add (i miss this off the end!!) ive no doubt that in the future i'll be having children myself.

i would NEVER rehome my dogs! i look forward to raising my children around them, and for my dogs to have someone else to grow old with!

i was only trying to be sympathetic to other peoples situations with my comments i dont expect everyones situation is the same as mine
As I say, I do appreciate that there are things happen that no-one could be expected to anticipate; but these are often also the ones who bend over backwards to find a good home for their dog (as your friend evidently did).

But as Lovezois says, far too many people see dogs as a disposable commodity; they give them up for the most feable of reasons and either dump them on the nearest rescue or hand them over to the first person who expresses an interest, no questions asked.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 12:15 PM
I think a lot of the problem with this is, it seems more people are seeing dogs as comodities rather than family members, and they also seem to have the attitude that the dog can teach itself good manners etc, if the dogs were taught good manners and how to behave in company, then I feel that when someone gets pregnant they will have second thoughs about giving up their well behaved dog, more often than not the dogs being given up in these circumstances leave a lot to be desire in their behaviour.

mo
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 12:51 PM
I can see that circumstances can be beyond control and the responsible owner would find another home instead of dumpin them.
My lurcher Danny was dumped because he no longer served a purpose. But they didn't even take him to a rescue. He was found wandering! I cannot find any reason why else they would dump him. He's loving, good with the kids and visitors to the house and he's so handsome.
I'm glad they dumped him because now I've got him and he's having the wonderful life he deserves and is spoilt rotten!
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2008, 10:03 AM
As discussed before I think a lot of it is laziness and possibly embarressment??
I lug my youngest around all over the place in the pushchair while walking the dogs.

I often get comments like "arent you brave" or "my youve got your hands full". In fact I reckon I get these comments at least once a day, especially when I have my daughter walking with us too.

Yes the pushchair makes walking up hills a lot harder, and I have to think quickly sometimes ie when there is a lot going on, other dogs and watching my dogs and kids, but it certainly isnt impossible.

I think its much healthier for kids to go for a walk than watch tv all day.

Here is a shot of me (scuse fat bum, lol!) pushing the pushchair round the woods and having a lovely time!!!

Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2008, 10:40 AM
I ended up with pets because I was in a marriage with someone who never wanted children. I got used to the idea, and stopped wanting kids myself. My husband also didn't like dogs, so despite having grown up with dogs, I didn't want to be in a situation where a dog was resented, or my husband and I fell out over it.

When my husband and I divorced, and I met my now partner, suddenly both became possibilities. For us, getting a dog was the most important one, which was how we ended up with Amberella. We do talk about having kids in the future, but because of my health it's still uncertain. Whatever happens, I will probably give up my job if we have children, so finances is the biggest consideration for us. I already have a paid carer who loves 'Ella, and would happily take her for walks during the day for me if I had my hands full with the baby.
I also have a horse, and I have vowed that whatever happens, I won't be giving him up unless I can no longer give him the attention he needs and pay for necessities, like medical attention. The way I see it, if we ever have a baby, I'm going to need "me" time, so OH can have the baby for a couple of hours while I have horse time, and I have several horsey friends who would happily step in and provide the assistance I need at the stables that my OH currently gives me.
Giving up our pets to have children just isn't an option, and I would rather forego motherhood than give up current members of my family.

I have tried, where I can, to sensibly attempt to project potential futures. Circumstances do change without warning - I never in a million years expected my husband to have an affair and leave me, and had I been the one who moved out, I would have probably had to give up my pets in order to find somewhere to live. These days, I tend to expect the worst, and I already have contingency plans in mind incase my partner and I separate, and the animals have a personalised "care sheet" in a folder in the event that something happens to one or both of us and my friends and family are left with our pets to care for.

I love the idea of bringing up a child around animals. My Mum always had pets when I was small, and I think it gave me a great respect for animals, as well as a craving to have my own when I left home! I think it's much healthier to grow up around dogs and cats. A friend of mine has brittle asthma and she believes that (although she was born with the condition) that had she been allowed a pet and to "play in the mud" as a child, her immune system would be much stronger. I'd much rather have a child for whom being outdoors walking the dog or with the horses is simply part of life, rather than one who spends all their time slumped in front of the TV or computer.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2008, 11:45 AM
My kids were brought up from birth with dogs, I used to walk with a double pushchair and two dogs, I know I used to get comments like ''god how do you manage ect, but my kids now have dogs of thier own. I'm glad that my boys were brought up with dogs,cats,rabbits etc.,I wouldn't have it any other way
ssmith80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Unfortunately my partner and I split up early June and I was forced to move out. In order to afford somewhere to live I had to share a place with my friend, who lived in a flat. I couldn't possibly keep two dogs in a flat, plus the fact that the landlord wouldn't allow them to live there with me anyway. I can genuinely understand why this is a problem for people.

If I hadn't done this I would have had to move back to Lincolnshire with my parents, quit my job, leave everything behind... I couldnt do this because I have debts and bills to pay. So quitting my job wasn't an option.

Thankfully things have worked out for the better now, I go to see my dogs several times a week and we go for some lovely walks, I've still managed to stay a part of their lives. HOWEVER, if i hadn't, I'd still be confident that I'd made the right decision.

Whats better? To be selfish and drag your dogs along to a small flat with no garden? Or leave them with someone financially stable that loves them, and can give them a better quality of life? Its not always about being selfish and giving your dogs away because you don't value them as part of the family, it can quite often be about putting THEM first.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2008, 07:24 AM
Same with cats, that and death. There are always ways to works around new situations, just people aren't willing to try.
ATD x
Micky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-10-2008, 02:00 PM
I know of a couple that just rehomed their two yr old dog, they already had two young children when they got their dog as a puppy and several months ago had a planned third child. I dont think they were able to give the dog their time and attention and realised that it was too much to keep him.. I think that they did the right thing as i dont believe that its fair to have an animal such as a dog and not have the time to walk them or give them love and attention.. I do think its sad however that some people do not give more thought to owning a dog and all it involves and should maybe less hasty when getting a puppy or a dog.. When i got my dog as a puppy, the breeders were very careful and very selective, particularly if people had children as they hoped to avoid people rehoming their dogs if they found they could not cope... peoples situations and circumstances can alter beyond their control and it is a sad fact that sometimes owners find themselves with little alternative but to find new homes for their pets, but i do think that unfortunately there are still a minority that buy a dog for christmas and then realise that they have taken on too much...
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >