Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-07-2005, 02:59 PM

Ram

Im upgrading to broadband soon (NTL have offered me a deal i cannot refuse) and their scan of my laptop said my RAM could need with updating,but wouldnt be detrimental if not done.

What the heck is RAM??? I know it means random access memory,but this is about where my computer knowledge ends!!!

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite S2800-200 if thats any help.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-07-2005, 03:14 PM
they said that with my 2 pcs and they are running ok on broadband with 128 and 256 at the moment.

RAM is the memory I think Im not too good with pc talk.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-07-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Carole
they said that with my 2 pcs and they are running ok on broadband with 128 and 256 at the moment.

RAM is the memory I think Im not too good with pc talk.
Cheers Carole,but 128 & 256-what is this???
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2005, 04:40 PM
128/256MB RAM is the total memory you have. RAM is memory your computer uses when your PC is running, the higher the RAM the faster the computer goes between programs
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
Im upgrading to broadband soon (NTL have offered me a deal i cannot refuse) and their scan of my laptop said my RAM could need with updating,but wouldnt be detrimental if not done.

What the heck is RAM??? I know it means random access memory,but this is about where my computer knowledge ends!!!

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite S2800-200 if thats any help.
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/RAM.html

Ok Steve have a look at that it will explain everything

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/ram.htm
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Oakley dokley-i'll have to take NTL's word that mine is adequate enough for broadband!
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-07-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
Oakley dokley-i'll have to take NTL's word that mine is adequate enough for broadband!
Normaly itīs ok steve donīt worry

leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Hi Steve i don't know what OS (windows operating system )you have but with 64MB you'll just have enough to run windows XP but some features will not work. To have a full working xp you should have a min of 128MB of ram.

With the laptop you got you can only increase the ram to 192MB max so that is only 128MB more that you got now.

Now to your problem i would think that you would have to increase your ram to run BB from NTL the basic system reqiurements that you'll need to run BB that is 74MB. If you do increase your ram you'll see a differance in the system speed it's the cheapset way of increasing the speed of your system.

Don't forget the more things you have running on your system the more ram it will take and the system slower or hang.
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-07-2005, 10:31 AM
The reason why they say you need so much RAM is because of the main reason people use broadband
WebCams
Online video
online gaming
all these take up a lot of RAM to run smoothly whether it's online or not
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2005, 11:45 AM
The main reason is that with BB you expect things to be nice and fast while browsing but if your computer is short on memory then that will slow down your BB experiance and sort of make it not worth while. If it does become a problem once you are connected though you can easily upgrade the memory for quite cheap
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >