View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mumof2boxers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-12-2010, 09:05 PM

How much do you feed your boxers and what do you feed?

i have 2 boxers aged 1 yr and one thats 6 months,

the breeder did give me some info

does this sound right

200g of royal canin junior 32 twice a day,she seems hungry all the time,

the other ones also fed twice a day approx 170g of royal canin junior 32

just thought id double check on here
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Hi!

I would still be feeding the 6mth old 3 times a day, unless they were refusing their middle meal.

I've never fed Royal Canin, so can't comment on that specific food. What does the packaging say - is it graded by weight?

Sometimes it's a bit trial and error... out of my 2 boys (Boxers), they are in the same weight range, but Max hardly eats and doesn't care if he misses a meal; and Murphy would eat until he vomited if I let him

I try and feed Max a little more than Murphy to make up for the fact that he is at the bottom end of the weight range (and Murphy is busting out of the top of it!!)
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Monty was still on 3 meals a day at 6 months as well and at the time was on Oscar's pet food.

He is now 2 years old and we feed him on Chappie as he used to have very loose stools but the Chappie has sorted that out beautifully. He currently has a scoop/handful of Chappie dried biscuits mixed in with a third of a large tin of Chappie twice daily.

He also gets veg, pasta and potatoes on a regular basis but that's more because he's spoilt!!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Monty was still on 3 meals a day at 6 months as well and at the time was on Oscar's pet food.

He is now 2 years old and we feed him on Chappie as he used to have very loose stools but the Chappie has sorted that out beautifully. He currently has a scoop/handful of Chappie dried biscuits mixed in with a third of a large tin of Chappie twice daily.

He also gets veg, pasta and potatoes on a regular basis but that's more because he's spoilt!!
I also spoil my 7 month old lab x ESS like this (with pasta and veg - he also gets sardines from time to time) But he gets two bowls (about 200g each) of CJS puppy champ a day and numberous treats - we are training still though.

Is Chappie really that good for loose stools? sorry O/T
I just give him a plain digestive and that usually sorts it out
mumof2boxers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-12-2010, 10:16 PM
i did ask the breeder and was told to keep them a little hungry,

i have read a few things on google but cant find any specific
food recommended or amount.

my eldest 1 yr old is hungry all the time,shes not a greedy dog,not like the other lol,

scary to open the fridge door,she gets her head in
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by mumof2boxers View Post
i did ask the breeder and was told to keep them a little hungry,

i have read a few things on google but cant find any specific
food recommended or amount.

my eldest 1 yr old is hungry all the time,shes not a greedy dog,not like the other lol,

scary to open the fridge door,she gets her head in
My eldest is the same - you go in the fridge and she sticks her head under your arm and looks - she loves her cheese slices! If you keep them a little hungry - makes for easier training But all dogs would love food all the time - like kids with chocolate!

For a 60lb dog (adult weight) they say 600g a day generally - I only know lab weights as two are lab mixes and one just eats a bowl full of meat
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
For a 60lb dog (adult weight) they say 600g a day generally - I only know lab weights as two are lab mixes and one just eats a bowl full of meat
I dunno what you're feeding but the ones I've fed have recommended about half that amount for a 60lb dog!

How much you should feed depends entirely on your dog. Don't go by what the feeding guide says, go by whether your dog is the right condition (I'd say weight but again, what weight is right is dependent on the dog) on the amount being fed. My 80lb mutt eats roughly 700g of food a day just to maintain a healthy weight and gets leftovers and treats on top of that. My 50lbish border collie mix ate around 150g a day and that had to be cut down for any extras he got.
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-12-2010, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLB

600g a day for a 60lb dog seems really excessive.I would be feeding half of that amount if it was fish4dogs dry complete.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by IanIOW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLB

600g a day for a 60lb dog seems really excessive.I would be feeding half of that amount if it was fish4dogs dry complete.
Thats what the vets says - it's not what I feed
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Thats what the vets says - it's not what I feed
Well your vet is wrong!!!!! Check out any feeding guidelines on various feeds for an adult dog.The only reason i have pointed this out is because if that amount was fed you would end up with a real porker.....Cheers..Ian.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >