View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2010, 08:49 AM

I am concerned that the feed i was given is not the feed the pup's were weaned on...

I remember the breeder mentioning "breeders choice" at our first meeting but sent Del home with an unopened bag of Bakers puppy. She had fairly firm poo when she arrived but after 2 bowls of Bakers is extremely loose and just passed jelly. today im off to pick up essentials and proper feed.
Now, shall i starve her for a few hours? she is drinking lots (is it any wonder?) and shall i gradually change her or just change her straight over?
her tum might be because of the stress of the journey and the change yesterday of course. any advice is gratefully received
x
p.s. i will call him and ask about the food but wanted your opinions too
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Bakers isn't brilliant. A basic puppy chicken and rice would be my choice for a while at least. Keep an eye on her though as pups go down fast with tummy upsets.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Bakers isn't brilliant. A basic puppy chicken and rice would be my choice for a while at least. Keep an eye on her though as pups go down fast with tummy upsets.

rune
I agee with the above,

Usually , I would say change over food gradually, but Bakers has not nutritional value, its made up of c**p full of colourants and preservatives.

For now as puppy has a runny tummy, I would forget the Bakers, and give her some very bland food from your kitchen.

Some boiled rice, or boiled chicken for now, till you get something better to feed.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Hi Kristen the shock of moving home and even a change of water can upset a small puppy's tummy.
You could ring the breeder and check what has been fed.

How many meals are you feeding, Del should be on 4 small meals at the moment.

I would not starve a small puppy with diarrhoea unless advised to do so by a vet , better to give small meals of well boiled sloppy rice (the starch will help to firm things up) with either white fish (cooked frozen coley from the supermarket is fine) or chicken with the skin (which contains fat) removed.

As the other members have said I would not normally switch a puppy's food so soon after a change of home but as there is a problem and doubt about the food you have been given I would ditch the Bakers and introduce a good quality puppy food (see your other post on puppy food) .
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2010, 11:58 AM
I had this prob with my pup back in Sept.

I changed his food gave him some scrambled egg [no milk salt or pepper].

No change.

Two visits to the vets [£60 plus]

And my theory about the whole episode was it was just him settling in.

the runny poo went on for 6 weeks in total on and off ....but when he had egg it got better then got worse again.

Gradually it got better and stayed better.

Of course this may not be the same with your pup and you have to do what you think best.