View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2005, 10:45 PM

Slow maturers - pros and cons of slow maturing breeds?

I would like thoughts on advantages and disadvantages please

Gus was a (very) slow maturer and I think (personally) he was well worth the wait
Mel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2005, 06:03 AM
Malamutes are notoriously slow at maturing fully , just something we have to put up with
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

08-05-2005, 06:16 AM
It`s better for the dog to grow at its own rate. Harmony is slow coming along & so were a couple of my other dogs & they were well worth the wait
Only drawback can be in the ring when the other dogs all seem up to size & more mature for their age in comparison but I`d rather have my slow growers
Christine.
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-05-2005, 06:35 AM
I think " slow maturerers " are actually the norm, it is we in this need everything yesterday world, who don't have the patience to wait. Everything comes to he or she who waits.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-05-2005, 07:46 AM
Boxers are slow to mature, both physically and mentally, but, boy, when they hit 2 1/2 - 3 yrs you have youself a real dog!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-05-2005, 08:32 AM
i agree with that one.
leo's are slow to mature not so much physical but mentally.toby is over 2 now and still very much a baby in nature some say he could be upto 4 before he really grows up but he is getting there slowly.
do you think males take long than females?
rocky
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-05-2005, 08:46 AM
I too , prefer my pups to slow mature, some lines are much slower. Others are quicker and often you dont see them anymore after they have gone out of puppy. Leo' yes i do think the males take longer to mature.
LF
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2005, 08:54 AM
I much prefer slow maturers too. I think it's more natural for them to come to maturity at a slow pace rather than so quickly that they look like they've had their paws planted in a Gro Bag on a sunny patio for the whole of their puppyhood

Lesley
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-05-2005, 09:37 AM
Well said LF.
Runstock
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-05-2005, 10:25 AM
Slow maturers for me. Used to hate seeing the pups being shown, particularly dogs, they looked so big and over developed at 6 months. First show we took part in, Minor Puppy class of 10, Bex was dwarfed by everything else in the ring, literally no other pup was anywhere near her size. Turns out she was preferred and we won... definately slow maturers for me, bonus is you have them as puppies for longer!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >