Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 12:39 PM

Fudge is an eye cream expert.

The first time we tried to put eye cream in her eyes this week was a three man job. She pulled backwards and flung her head in every direcion to avoid the inevitable.I have just done her day 5 dose and the change is amazing. She comes voluntarily and sits in front of me. I hold her head gently and open up the eye whilst someone else applies the cream. She then has some treats which she actively looks for. I am amazed at how quickly she has allowed this procedure to become part of her daily return.

the next challenge will be trimming her nails......Any tips anyone?
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
The first time we tried to put eye cream in her eyes this week was a three man job. She pulled backwards and flung her head in every direcion to avoid the inevitable.I have just done her day 5 dose and the change is amazing. She comes voluntarily and sits in front of me. I hold her head gently and open up the eye whilst someone else applies the cream. She then has some treats which she actively looks for. I am amazed at how quickly she has allowed this procedure to become part of her daily return.

if you've not done this before be VERY carefull, it's very easy to cut into the quik, and if you do, it'll put her right off. i use guillotine cutters, they're easy to use and cut through even the thickest nails.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
if you've not done this before be VERY carefull, it's very easy to cut into the quik, and if you do, it'll put her right off. i use guillotine cutters, they're easy to use and cut through even the thickest nails.

Thanks Nero. i was just going to take off the very tips and file as they are a bit sharp. It will be a while before we snip. I am going to work on the clippers touching her toes as a starting point.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-06-2007, 05:20 PM

nails are ok as long as you can see the quick. Fudge's colouring should make it clear enough. Breagh's are plain black which is a bit more tricky.

When you've done Fudge I'll let you Skye's when we come down
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Bless her heart, she's much better behaved than our little moo
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 05:33 PM

Awww bless her heart..... I think the key word in what you wrote is "treats".... it's amazing how quick they learn they'll get something nice.

As for nails, my two hate it, especially Tonto, but he loves me doing Inca's as he will sit and wait for the bits to fly off and go and collect them to eat. Luckily they don't really need them doing as it's only the dew claws that don't get worn down that get a problem, though Inca is very good at chewing her own.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 03:15 PM
with china i got her to "play dead" and put a treat in front of her nose and told her to "leave" in the time she was staring at the biscuit i managed to clip her nails, she then gets a big fuss and another biccie!!!

thats how i did it!

but i started off letting her sniff the clippers and then treating her, then touching her nails with them and treating...

Alex
xx