Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 08:18 PM

Chicken Thighs

Anyone get any nice recipes using chicken thighs?? I got a pack in my meat box this week and never really cooked with thighs before so not sure what to do with them!

Searched my usual sites such as good food and bbc recipes but still not feeling inspired!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 08:30 PM
You can chop the meat off and stir fry - or use like any chicken peices
They are yummy in a curry
I skinned them and maranated in some curry paste, browned the thighs. Made a sauce with an onion and lentles and garam masala and water, put chicken back in and bubble down for an hour or so
Chicken falls off the bone and was yummy
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 08:45 PM
My nan roasted some the other day, they were delicious Often used in curries too.
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Do anything you would do with breasts really. I much prefer thighs as they have more flavour and tend to be a little juicier. My fave easy chicken recipe is my mum's orange chicken. Stick the thighs in a roasting tin. Pour over a good big splodge of orange juice. Enough to cover the bottom but not submerge the thighs. add a few nobs of butter. Season the thighs well with salt and pepper. Roast in an oven at about 170' for about an hour, basting regularly.
Serve with rice or whatever you fancy with the juices from the roasting tin napped over it.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Dobionekenobi View Post
Do anything you would do with breasts really. I much prefer thighs as they have more flavour and tend to be a little juicier. My fave easy chicken recipe is my mum's orange chicken. Stick the thighs in a roasting tin. Pour over a good big splodge of orange juice. Enough to cover the bottom but not submerge the thighs. add a few nobs of butter. Season the thighs well with salt and pepper. Roast in an oven at about 170' for about an hour, basting regularly.
Serve with rice or whatever you fancy with the juices from the roasting tin napped over it.
You've just reminded me of exactly the same dish that my mum makes from time to time! Can't believe it slipped my mind as it's such a lovely dish!

Thanks for all suggestions. Am either going to go with orange chicken i think or a curry.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Put about four table spoons of vegetable oil in the bottom of a large heavy bottomed pan, heat and seal chicken legs/thighs until they are browned and sticking to the bottom of the pan. Reduce the heat and add chopped garlic, then onions and chillies, and in a mortar and pestle grind up fennel seeds, coriander seeds and salt and pepper. Add to the mix, then add a large knob of butter and add basmati rice as if you were doing a risotto, and let the rice cook until opaque. Then add enough chicken stock for the amount of rice used, place the sealed chicken on top, and pop in the oven until cooked, usually takes about 45 mins.
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
Put about four table spoons of vegetable oil in the bottom of a large heavy bottomed pan, heat and seal chicken legs/thighs until they are browned and sticking to the bottom of the pan. Reduce the heat and add chopped garlic, then onions and chillies, and in a mortar and pestle grind up fennel seeds, coriander seeds and salt and pepper. Add to the mix, then add a large knob of butter and add basmati rice as if you were doing a risotto, and let the rice cook until opaque. Then add enough chicken stock for the amount of rice used, place the sealed chicken on top, and pop in the oven until cooked, usually takes about 45 mins.
You have just given me an idea for our tea on Friday! it can cook while we have a few beers.