Our sister sites
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
That`s a good idea.

re injuries:

Robin Walker, a Veterinary and Dog Behaviourist, had an article on this subject printed in The Veterinary Record in March 1999 showing evidence of injury to dogs. He listed:

* Injured ocular vessels
* Tracheal and oesophageal damage
* Severely sprained necks
* Cases of fainting
* Transient foreleg paralysis
* Recurrent laryngeal nerve paralysis
* Hind leg ataxia

Radiographs showed misalignment of the cervical vertebrae and in some cases Horner's Syndrome was diagnosed. Some of the conditions described above were at the time known as "Woodhouse Neck"
Howdy!
Do you know where this is available. I got into an argument with a 'TerrierMan' and my kennels about choke chains and so far have not found any reputable research to back up my argument.
All I found is an old article by Roger Mugford called 'Where to put your choker'.
I also know of two Rottie puppies who are suddenly wearing check chains, which really isn't ideal.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Oh thanks. I don't know what our local one does.

I know you don't actually view the dogs---just photos!

rune

that a good idea. i introduced that at my rescue.
they see photos first, get an interview to assess suitability, then the dog is bought out to see them.

its an animal welfare issue, as countless people traipsing thru the kennels causes stress illnesses and makes them behave out of character and effects their rehoming chances.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
Howdy!
Do you know where this is available. I got into an argument with a 'TerrierMan' and my kennels about choke chains and so far have not found any reputable research to back up my argument.
All I found is an old article by Roger Mugford called 'Where to put your choker'.
I also know of two Rottie puppies who are suddenly wearing check chains, which really isn't ideal.
This isn't the original article referred to but may help?

http://www.positivedogs.co.uk/Choke%20Chains!.htm
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2010, 10:33 AM
it was this - sorry I should have said:
http://www.dogstuff.info/misuse_of_c...s_hawgood.html

there`s a leaflet as well
http://www.apdt.co.uk/pdfs/Choke_Chain_leaflet.pdf
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
that a good idea. i introduced that at my rescue.
they see photos first, get an interview to assess suitability, then the dog is bought out to see them.

its an animal welfare issue, as countless people traipsing thru the kennels causes stress illnesses and makes them behave out of character and effects their rehoming chances.
I have a bit of a problem with it as a photo doesn't always look at you!

We had a few we would just put photos of but for the more gregarious dogs it seemed fine to let people view them.

Different for different dogs.

rune
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

29-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Aside from opinions I don't think I have seen actual research on this ever!

Adam
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
it was this - sorry I should have said:
http://www.dogstuff.info/misuse_of_c...s_hawgood.html

there`s a leaflet as well
http://www.apdt.co.uk/pdfs/Choke_Chain_leaflet.pdf

"From 16 Veterinary Practices, I received 13 responses and seven confirmed recorded cases of injured dogs caused by choke chains. "

from the first article. Says it all really

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
Howdy!

Was that "the" Terrierman, who write sometimes for DT?
I'd think he's a bit fixed in his views, although some of his articles are fairly common sensical, I was not impressed by others

Robin Walker is actually contactable via the apbc if you need to confirm this, although the Veterinary Record should be enough I'd think - it's reputable!

Wys
x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Robin Walker, a Veterinary and Dog Behaviourist, had an article on this subject printed in The Veterinary Record in March 1999 showing evidence of injury to dogs. He listed:

* Injured ocular vessels
* Tracheal and oesophageal damage
* Severely sprained necks
* Cases of fainting
* Transient foreleg paralysis
* Recurrent laryngeal nerve paralysis
* Hind leg ataxia

Radiographs showed misalignment of the cervical vertebrae and in some cases Horner's Syndrome was diagnosed. Some of the conditions described above were at the time known as "Woodhouse Neck"
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Aside from opinions I don't think I have seen actual research on this ever!
Adam
I haven't seen any 'actual research' to say hitting ones thumb with a sledge hammer will be painful and could cause damage but then I don't need it really, common sense tells me this is the case.

Likewise with putting a noose around a dogs neck and pulling it tight, common sense tells me this could cause physical damage to a dog . After all if you lifted the dog off the floor at the same time as pulling the collar tight you would have a dead dog, it is called 'hanging' so I would defiantly say without the aid of research that choke chains can damage a dog. .
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

29-10-2010, 12:19 PM
None of that is actual research comparing choke chains to flat collars for example.

Adam
Page 9 of 16 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »