Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2010, 10:28 AM

Putting weight on ...

Mum has been saying for months that Blu is underweight but everyone else has been telling me he is fine. Yesterday at a show someone was tidying up Blu for me and said he needs weight on. I had a feel at the other poodles there and you can't feel their spine like you can in Blu. So whats the best way to get weight on him? He already eats loads, regulary wormed but he gets alot of exercise so he could be burning it off but I wouldn't stop him getting exercise.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Do you have fotos of him?? If you are happy with how he looks and he has tonnes of energy then I wouldnt try putting weight on
Far too many dogs - including some show dogs - are a wee bit overweight - it could be yours is fine and the others could do with loosing some

If you need to get some weight on - and there is no medical reason for him not putting weight on
I wouldnt cut down on exercise but just add an extra meal a day - slightly reduce the sixe of the other meals but give an extra meal
I have heard people with working dogs use 'satan balls' - google for whats in them - but mainly it looks like mince and eggs and things
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2010, 11:18 AM
I have pictures but none of him when he is wet and you can see his proper size. He looks huge with his show coat. I wouldn't mind putting a little bit of weight on him because his bum is skinny compared to other dogs. I know a few poodles have problems getting weight on.

I'm sure there is no medical reason for it so I'll just try and give him another meal. The other problem is Cheeko is overweight and Blu is underweight so it's hard to give one less and the other more!!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2010, 07:36 PM
If people that know the breed well, and have been around them for longer than you, then i would personally take their advice and get some weight on him..Tripe is a great for weight gain.
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2010, 08:58 PM
I got him some tripe and liver dog meat tonight. Smells horrible but he likes it. Just now I'm unsure of some people if I'm honest because the way they are acting and I wouldn't be suprised if they were telling me his weight is fine so he isn't competition to them.. I will be going with the advice to put weight on him anyway. I know the breed really well because I've owned it all my life it's just our dogs have always been on the... big side
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-06-2010, 04:24 AM
Before fattening your dog up, take a look at these 2 threads, http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=127362 and http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=127393

Just because overweight dogs are common, doesn't mean your dog needs its life shortened too.
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2010, 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Just because overweight dogs are common, doesn't mean your dog needs its life shortened too.
Labman, please point out to me where the OP has said that they are looking to make their dog overweight? I can't see where that has been suggested?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2010, 08:56 AM
Lamb and Tripe will put weight on. You could always (if he likes his food) try adding another meal. When I was getting weight on Raz I gave him 3 meals a day.
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by tokiayla View Post
Labman, please point out to me where the OP has said that they are looking to make their dog overweight? I can't see where that has been suggested?
I would like to know that too! All I want is for him to get some weight on so he isn't as thin. That's hardly making him overweight
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Lamb and Tripe will put weight on. You could always (if he likes his food) try adding another meal. When I was getting weight on Raz I gave him 3 meals a day.
I feed my boy 3 meals a day permanently so that I can give him that little bit extra.
(And before you start, Labman, I can ALWAYS see his ribs unfortunately - he struggles to keep weight on...)
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »