View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2005, 11:28 PM

Co-ownership - why enter into a co-ownership agreement?

Justm looking for information as to why people *co-own* a dog ?
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2005, 12:44 AM
I'd say one of the reasons for most people is breeders who have a litter and due to lack of space for another dog or due to the fact they can't house another of that sex at that time - and there is a "promising pup" in the litter they either agree with a buyer on co-owneship or they have a friend/partner who holds the same view on the breed as them and they "split" the ownership and housing.

Not sure if that is clear or not? But its my view!

Karen
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-05-2005, 05:29 AM
Co-ownerships
There are several types of co-ownership arrangements:

Co-ownerships between breeders and peers are quite common and serve as a tool to expand a breeder's gene pool while limiting the dogs in residence. Co-ownerships between breeders and fanciers can also be maintained as a method of splitting costs associated with showing and breeding but should never be used as a tool by the breeder to force the new owner to give up ownership of future litters.
Some breeders will sell show puppies on co-ownerships and will not sign the puppy over to sole ownership by the purchaser until such age where the dog has obtained the necessary health clearances to be used for breeding. This arrangement serves to avoid the dog being bred before the appropriate age or before obtaining appropriate health clearances.
For new owners who are not interested in showing or breeding their dogs, co-ownerships may not be the best option. If a breeder requires a co-ownership so as to maintain "breeding rights" on your dog, you may want to think twice. For the most part, co-ownerships of this type benefit the person who is NOT the primary caretaker of the dog (i.e.: breeder) . Be cautious of contracts that sell a puppy for the full purchase price and "require" that the dog be bred and that the breeder get puppies back. This is a very significant hidden cost to the new owner. Some unscrupulous breeders set up "puppy pyramid schemes" with new owners with a profit motive in mind. You should NOT BE REQUIRED to breed your dog!!! Breeding a litter of puppies should be a carefully planned event. It requires an enormous commitment of energy and time, not to mention the responsibility of finding suitable homes for the puppies. The most unfortunate consequence of these types of co-ownerships is the focus on breeding rather than the many other aspects of dog ownership. Think long and hard and consider all consequences of getting involved in a co-ownership of this type.

leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-05-2005, 06:58 AM
i agree i don't think its the best future for a pup,but i think the ownership is a good point from where the age/health checks before breeding is allowed.
holly mum is owned by the breeder on paperwork but lives with another breeder as far as i know.
out of the 14 that hol came from our breeder only had 4 of them to home.
which is this co ownership or breeding rights?
i was expecting to see all 14 it wasn't untill we went we found out.
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-05-2005, 07:30 AM
Many years ago I had a bitch pup the person whom I thought owned the mother of her was in fact a co-owner, the co-ownership came into play only after the bitches first two litters were sold by the breeder of the bitch. I thought then that this was wrong and I still do today, I believe most of it has to do with more pups, more opportunities, of producing a champion.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-05-2005, 08:43 AM
but thats it holly is helkenna and her mum is so the breeder i got her from her affix is helkenna too.
as she breed hollys mum but she lives with another breeder.
must say i don't like it to be honest.
to me you either own the dog 100% or you don't.
but at the end of the day each to their own i guess its just not the way i would do it.
if i breed i own both parents etc and have owned them from pups so i know what they are like not on some ones word that they are ok in nature / health etc.
just my point of view on this.