View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
baieykalliboo
New Member!
Female 

16-07-2006, 03:19 PM

Puppy training while working full time...(house-training is it possible?)

hi
just wondered if many people out there have bought a puppy and easily housetrained it while working full time? i have heard of a few people, but just wondered if it really is possible. Im thinking of buying a puppy, and have been reading about crate training, (as i could come home at lunch). it sounds cruel to leave the pup in a crate all the time, what about weekends when you are home? can you let it out then? How long does it have to be confined to a crate for? Please help me as im really worried about this. thank you!
shadow_the_staff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-07-2006, 06:10 PM
Hi,

I house trainer shadow as a puppy, and I work full time, but I didnt use a crate. Im sure someone will answer your crate questions.

I took me approx 6 months for shadow to be completely house trained, and I have a dog flap in the back door, but there are advantages aswell as disadvantages to having a dogflap!

What type of dog do you have? Some may be more easy to train than others.
Gail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-07-2006, 06:37 PM
I housetrained Bobby while using a crate during working hours.

I gave him a cardboard box with a jumper in for his bed and left a thick layer of newspaper in the opposite corner. I was lucky in that he always messed on the paper (his sister drove my mum up the wall as she always messed in her bed!)
Eventually he stopped messing in his crate altogether as he
managed to wait until I was home. It took a few months though. I remember getting frustrated that it was taking so long, but I think we forget how young they are and they just don't have control over their bladders.

When I was at home and he was very young I used to take him outside every half an hour or so to let him have a wee and praised him loads when he performed. They gradually get the message as long as you're consistant.

I'm doing the same with Duncan at the moment (although he doesn't have a crate) and he's already stayed clean through the night a few times. It won't be long before the accidents become fewer
jamaican_rum200
New Member!
Female 

16-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Don't know if its any help I've have had my puppy for a week now and work full time. I took her to the vets yesterday for her first injections and asked the vet about leaving her in her crate. He said it is ok leaving her for 5 1/2 hours at at a time, and I come home at lunch time.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Hello baiey, I work full time but dont crate Roxy. She has full run of our bedroom and since she turned 5 months she holds it a lot better now, so no accidents when i come home from work and she goes straight outside to do her business once I open that door. However my sister does go and see her at lunch time so she gets breaks during the day too.

I wouldn't say she is 100% yet, and I think it would have been a lot easier and quicker had I not work full time. But i think it can be done. We are slowly getting there, only 2 accident in 2 weeks now. Although I think a lot of it has to do with the heat too.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Oh and be prepared for some big messes!

The first time we left Roxy alone in our room, we came back and there was poo EVERYWHERE! she''d even trodden it into ever corner, all over the bed sheets, matress, duvet, her bed, her toys. Honestly it was disgusting. So just letting you know

I dont think Crates are nasty or horrible, I totally agree with them, however Roxy really didn't take to ours so we just left it.
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2006, 01:27 PM
If your coming home at lunch this would mean the pup is in the crate about 4 hours at a time??
Its not cruel, what is cruel is what happens when the pup is using your flooring as a bathroom and chewing up the house, apart from the dangers it could get itself into it will also lead to frustration on your part which the puppy will be able to sense.
Crate training really is the best option whether your working or not, even if your home all the time dogs should still be crate trained (just my opinion). The crate not only keeps your pet from developing bad behaviours it also gives the dog somewhere to go in times of stress...like thunderstorms, fireworks going off....its a 'safe area'. All my dogs have been crate trained and it starts the day they come into my house.

What I would suggest is that when you decide to get a puppy, have the crate already there so you start from scratch and if possible, when you first get your pup, try and take a week off work or even a long weekend so that the pup has chance to adjust to his/her new home without being left alone straight away.
bagoratz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2006, 02:26 PM
Sorry to go against the general feeling here but I think you should consider very carefully about purchasing a puppy if you are working full time - they need plenty of stimulation and training and I'm not sure how you can offer this if you only come home at lunchtime??
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Well theres mornings, evenings and weekends !! By saying that are you saying that anyone who has a full time job shouldnt have a dog?

Dont forget, young healthy adult dogs can sleep anywhere from 10 - 16+ hours a day depending on breed, depending on if its a working dog or not etc. Puppies sleep more than adult dogs.
Paul G.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-07-2006, 12:09 PM
I agree entirely with "Bagoratz". I'm sure you don't mean to be unkind but shutting a dog alone in a small cage for hours on end day after day while you go to work might well interest the RSPCA. How about a cat instead ? They are not pack animals and are therefore independent and happy to be on their own. No offence meant, but have you really thought this one through ?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >