Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-04-2017, 09:06 AM

My dog

We all love our dogs or we wouldn't be on this forum.
I see a lot of issues being aired here and that's not a bad thing. Ask and there are those here with experience who can offer advice. An excellent forum.

One thing, in several, it does for me is to realise just how lucky we got when I read about the problems others have had. And we don't. He is good with other dogs, people, and especially children.

That's not say he is perfect. Outdoors, he very rarely barks. At home he barks when we turn the shower on, wants to be fed, or wants out to the back garden.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-04-2017, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
That's not say he is perfect. Outdoors, he very rarely barks. At home he barks when we turn the shower on, wants to be fed, or wants out to the back garden.
Barking is a form of communication, there are allegedly at least ten types of barks, I'm not convinced on all of them but the three short sharp barks in a row is a definite warning to the rest of the 'pack' that there are strangers about (They maybe two or four legged)

Have had reason to thank our dogs for this in the past.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-04-2017, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Barking is a form of communication, there are allegedly at least ten types of barks, I'm not convinced on all of them but the three short sharp barks in a row is a definite warning to the rest of the 'pack' that there are strangers about (They maybe two or four legged)

Have had reason to thank our dogs for this in the past.
Yes, you learn what at least some of the barks are.
The food one is easy and as soon as I start to prepare it he flops down on the floor, sometimes with a grunt. He waits there until I put the bowl down and tell him he can have it.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2017, 10:53 PM
The one bark I always recognise is 'Help!', it is when Eddie's ball has rolled under the gate.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-04-2017, 06:51 AM
Originally Posted by CaroleC View Post
The one bark I always recognise is 'Help!', it is when Eddie's ball has rolled under the gate.
Our beast would either break the gate down or leap over it.......
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2017, 10:33 AM
That would be a bit of a task for a 15.5 inch Beagle - even for one with a CD Ex! These are 6 foot vertical barred iron gates - with staggered bobbles on the top.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-04-2017, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by CaroleC View Post
That would be a bit of a task for a 15.5 inch Beagle - even for one with a CD Ex! These are 6 foot vertical barred iron gates - with staggered bobbles on the top.
Size matters................
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-04-2017, 10:25 PM
Yesterday we had the plumber in to replace the kitchen sink. A delivery of a vacuum cleaner, the weekly groceries and a meat shipment.

Max just took it all in his stride. He did the meet and greet thing then just laid down on the hall floor.

We walked a lot as we usually do. Several miles. The parks, the woods, the forniden land. He can be out of sight for a while. I just stroll on and he pops up beside me.

He is a gem.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-04-2017, 08:03 PM
Max goes with us almost everywhere. Even when I go to the barber. He just sits their quietly.
But sometimes it just isn't on.

My dear wife and I went for a birthday lunch. Max couldn't go. Somehow he knows the score. Knew he wasn't going. That look....but he can wait for a few hours.

And the welcome when you get back......

My sister lives in London. Not very far from the palace. She has had major surgery and we feel we should visit. It is a train and tube journey. New experiences for the dog. He is a good traveller. Car, stairs, lifts, hotels.

We could leave him at home and he would be just fine. But l'd like him to with us. As my dear wife says we are attached at the hip.

Jury is out.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

25-04-2017, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
She has had major surgery and we feel we should visit. It is a train and tube journey. New experiences for the dog. He is a good traveller. Car, stairs, lifts, hotels.

We could leave him at home and he would be just fine. But l'd like him to with us. As my dear wife says we are attached at the hip.

Jury is out.
Well I'm not sure what to advise, if you do take him you're bound to meet up with dog ignorant people who will likely start ranting about where dogs are not supposed to be

A tip I learned from one of my contracts is that all tube stations (that have lifts or escalators)must also have stairs but they are often hidden away. If Max does feel unhappy in a lift then look for the stairs, likewise I am fairly certain dogs must be carried on escalators so Max would be better off using the stairs.

Could be an interesting journey although my experience of traveling around London on public transport was not good and I shall be happy if I never have to do it ever again
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >