Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2015, 08:07 AM

A tale of tails..

A few months ago when my little girl was missing, and TW thanks for your wise input on that, I had adopted a small rescue cat, who I called Sweetpea. her history was dreadful; a man was seen trying to bury her newborn kittens if not her alive. Kittens about to leave and she needed a home.. A small new rescue place. So with space after losing collie.... The first few days she was grand. Loved to be petted, purring,, then suddenly that changed, I think as the mumsy hormones abated... Suddenly I had a Briar rather than a Sweetpea. With the meanest fastest left hook ever..OUCH! And hiding under my bed and attacking my ankles.. Fine once I got used to that! She is feral and probably many generations of feral and I rehomed for her not for me. She is safe and eating and no dangers. But not the furry friend I needed! Weeks went by and no sign of my wee lass. A huge hole... the rescue had had when I was there a big boy, soft as they come and laid back. Handed in as they were moving house and an allergy issue. A year old neutered.. and a comedian. Lydia and I had sat chatting on the floor of the rescue cabin and he was climbing over us, chin rubbing.. So yes, I decided I had room and needed a cuddle cat.. YOU know.. so I arranged to collect in a few days, to Lydias delight. You can probably guess what happened then! One evening I was at the door in my nightie ( total;y private up here) checking the dog and I heard a CRY. My heart! No mistaking that cry... and there she was, at the gate.. my wee girl after six long weeks.. when I ran to the gate she fled down the lane... so I put the dog inside, grabbed clothes and a cat food tin and spoon.. The lane here is a private dirt track, and this last stretch between high hedges and there at the very ennd, a small black speck... I rattled the tin, and a little large the speck grew... until there she was, within reach. Up she came and i ran to the house telling her, as I shook with emotion, that she was NEVER EVER going out again.. I could feel her ribs. Down went half a tin of cat food, to the kind of YUM YUmming a kitten will make... and back up came half a tin of cat food.. so I cooked chicken and rice to feed her in tiny amounts. She has always been a vocal cat; mouthy they say, and she sat on me in bed yelling the whole story at me all the night long... I had not wept all the weeks but i did that night.... shaking! Called Canada and the rejoicing spread... We think they had locked her in at a holiday let, then left her there. Without food. So then I collected Jacob and the fun has really begun as wee cat is BOSS now. Briar is fine but will always be a feral and that is grand. She has been terribly abused and fears hands. Loves ankles..eats slowly now not that dreadful starved gulping with eyes in every direction. Jacob is gas as they say here. He is a counter surfer and table walker; lost my slow cooker and the handle off a favourite mug before I learned that. One day I was at the sink, alone here as always, and there was a hard tap at my shoulder... there he was balanced on the back of the chair to reach me. My huge boy is terrified f the newbies; a total wuss... So we walk on, one outdoor cat, three indoors and one who goes out. Wee dog is fine unless she meets Briar... and I now have the HOUSE FULL sign up.. above all my two from way back who sleep circled on my bed and wee girl creeping under the covers to curl up with me.. How I missed her, and the sheer miracle of her homing