Our sister sites
KevBaz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-03-2011, 12:41 PM

Alaskan Malamute

Alaskan Malamute Breed Standard

General Appearance
Heavily boned, powerfully built, not too compact and never appearing short on the leg.

Characteristics
Sled dog capable of surviving in Arctic temperatures and of pulling heavy loads at steady speeds.

Temperament
Affectionate, friendly, loyal, devoted companion but not a ‘one man’ dog, playful on invitation, generally impressive by his dignity after maturity but tends to show dominance to other dogs.

Head and Skull
Head broad, powerful, not coarse, in proportion to size of dog. Skull broad between ears, gradually narrowing to eyes, moderately rounded between ears, flattening on top as it approaches eye, rounding off to moderately flat cheeks. Very slight but perceptible stop. Muzzle large in proportion to size of skull, scarcely diminishing in width or depth from stop. Nose black except in red and white dogs when it is brown. Pink streaked ‘snow nose’ acceptable.

Eyes
Brown, almond-shaped, moderately large, set obliquely. Dark eyes preferred, except in red and white dogs where light eyes are permissible. Blue eyes highly undesirable.

Ears
Small in proportion to head. Triangular in shape, slightly rounded at tips, set wide apart, at back of skull. Ears forward when erect. When dog is working sometimes folded against skull.

Mouth
Upper and lower jaws broad with large teeth, with a perfect, regular and complete scissor bite, i.e. upper teeth closely overlapping lower teeth and set square to the jaws.

Neck
Strong and moderately arched.
Forequarters
Shoulders moderately sloping; forelegs heavily boned and well muscled, straight as far as pasterns which are short, strong and almost vertical viewed from side.

Body
Strong and powerfully built, chest strong and deep; back straight but not level, sloping slightly downwards from shoulder to croup. Loins well muscled, never so short as to interfere with movement. No excess weight.
Hindquarters
Hindlegs broad and powerfully muscled through thighs; stifles moderately bent, hock joints broad and strong, moderately bent and well let down. Viewed from behind, hindlegs vertical, standing and moving true, in line with movement of front legs. Legs indicate tremendous propelling power.

Feet
Large and compact, toes close, well arched, pads thick and tough, toenails short and strong. Protective growth of hair between toes.

Tail
Moderately high set, following line of spine at start then curving gently upwards. At rest may hang straight down. Well furred and carried over back when dog is working, not tightly curled to rest on back, nor short furred and carried like a fox brush, but giving appearance of a waving plume.
Gait/Movement
Single tracking at trot is normal but movement not too wide or too close at any gait. Easy, tireless, rhythmic movement, produced by powerful drive from hindquarters.

Coat
Thick, coarse guard coat, not long and soft. Dense undercoat, from 2.5-5 cms (1-2 ins) in depth, oily and woolly. Coarse guard coat stands out, with thick fur around neck. Guard coat varies in length as does undercoat, but in general coat of medium length along sides of body, increasing somewhat around shoulders and neck, down back and over croup, as well as in breeching and plume.

Colour
Range is from light grey through intermediate shadings to black, or from gold through shades of red to liver, always with white on underbody, parts of legs, feet and part of mask markings. Markings either caplike or masklike on face. Combination of cap and mask not unusual. White blaze on forehead, white collar, or spot on nape permissible. Heavy mantling of unbroken colour acceptable, broken colour extending over body in spots or uneven splashings undesirable. Only solid colour permissible is all white.

Size
Height: dogs: 64-71 cms (25-28 ins); bitches: 58-66 cms (23-26 ins). Weight between 38-56 kgs (85-125 lbs), size consideration not to outweigh type.

Faults
Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

All photos are between 9 and 14 months and he weighs in at just over 40kg

Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Is he KC registered?
KevBaz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-03-2011, 06:54 PM
No, we rescued him when he was 6th months and never chased up that sort of thing as we arent really into that, just put this here to see what people thought for fun.

why do you ask?
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 11:39 AM
He is really sweet and very photogenic, although for a Malamute I would say he was somewhat lacking in bone and his chest is not very deep - however depending on his age his chest may alter.

He is a delightful shade of red and appears to have a very nice coat and also a nice.

He does not have a strong Malamute topline - I would be inclined to wonder whether he is perhaps a Husky X Malamute as he has some huskyish features.

Whatever - he is a stunning, athletic looking boy, does everyone stop to ask you about him when you are out - he's certainly eyecatching!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
He is really sweet and very photogenic, although for a Malamute I would say he was somewhat lacking in bone and his chest is not very deep - however depending on his age his chest may alter.

He is a delightful shade of red and appears to have a very nice coat and also a nice.

He does not have a strong Malamute topline - I would be inclined to wonder whether he is perhaps a Husky X Malamute as he has some huskyish features.

Whatever - he is a stunning, athletic looking boy, does everyone stop to ask you about him when you are out - he's certainly eyecatching!
i was thinking that too.. prob why i like him
KevBaz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the replies

Just out of interest which of his features do you consider "husky-ish"? and what do you class as his topline?

We certainly do get stopped, alot! he loves the attention and takes it all in his (large)stride.

EDIT*

Also to me i know hes got a slightly more sleek look and to my untrained eye he rather resembles the sahpe of this mal http://www.tuvaurat.com/13.html

Hes also just turned 16months so still a bit of growing to go and he has been neuterd
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by KevBaz View Post
... and what do you class as his topline?
His 'topline' is the line his spine makes from his withers (top of his shoulder) to his croup (where the back meets the tail area).

Different breed standards call for different toplines. The Malamute standard requires them to have a straight back that slopes gently downwards from withers to croup. The Siberian husky breed standard (as an example) requires them to have a level topline from withers to croup.

If you look at your photo's you can see he has a level topline. It can be clearly seen in the 4th shot of him standing on the beach. The first shot of him is slightly deceptive, his topline 'looks' sloping however you can see that he is standing on uneven ground, the front is elevated which makes his topline appear sloping even though it isn't.

HTH
KevBaz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-03-2011, 02:49 PM
It does indeed, thanks very much, i shall try to get a few more better pics