Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-06-2016, 11:47 PM

Computer problem solved

For some time I have been having a small problem when pushing the start button on my computer. I have had to push it several times before it would power up. First thought was the connection from the switch to the motherboard had worked loose, so unplugged checked and put the connection plug back. Already tested the switch
This didn't fix the problem, so next step was to check the startup program in windows 7 , all settings looked ok, so this by now had me confused as to what it might be.

Just before I posted this the mouse packed up,ie no light on it and no cursor movement on the screen. Tried it in a couple of USB ports still dead as a dodo. Got another spare mouse out and plugged it in and the computer seems to switch on with no problem. So somehow it looks as if the now fail mouse had an affect on how the computer started up

So something to watch out for if it happens on your computer,
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2016, 11:50 PM
How weird tumbleweed
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-06-2016, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by griff View Post
How weird tumbleweed
Yes I thought so too, that is why I thought it was worth posting about it.

I have had actual windows program problems before and even a hard drive pack up on me, but this was something not come across before.

This computer my son and I built specifically for photographic work so I know all the components that make it up. Each part was hand picked for quality, including the case makeup, which it took about 3 months to get every part, the best we could afford at the time.
So it is not an off the shelf one with cheap bits inside, you would not believe the research that went into building it.
To give some idea airflow was important as the cooler a computer runs the better it runs. So this one has a straight though front to back airflow assisted by silent running fans back front and inside. Special graphics card not relying on the motherboard. SSD (solid state drive) not the disc type
It has a 750w power unit well above the minimum necessary and 16gig of RAM again . that is just a start.

This is why I was puzzled about the start switch on problem

Even the monitor is different from the norm being a Dell IPS monitor so the screen can be seen at any angle without fade on one side or the other. not to mention a photographic printer.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2016, 04:21 AM
Good job the mouse packed up properly really...you could have spent a lot of time trying to t that out
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2016, 08:10 AM
My son had a similar problem with a laptop. Worked brilliantly without a mouse plugged in - caused all sorts of problems when it was.

My hubby spent nearly a week on the damned thing before we found the problem.