Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2014, 08:28 AM

Surprise in the Shed

I know it's been a long time since i've been here, so incredibly busy with school.

Not sure if you remember about my ferals, well, turns out I have a baby kitten too.

I'm not really sure what to do and the feral cat people told me it could take a while before they can get them spayed/neutered.

Should I get the kitten baby formula (for cats) or just leave it? I put a small plastic dog carrier in the shed with a blanket and water for it. It was hiding underneath the tractor and I was afraid it would get stuck in the engine so I put it in the crate. The door is left open of course.

What do I do?

Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2014, 10:09 AM
Oh my goodness, look at the size of him

I'm of no use whatsoever! I guess by the fact his eyes are open that he is a few weeks old so Mum must be feeding him, as for whether to take him in/feed or not I really don't know. Hope someone comes along who can give good advice
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2014, 02:11 PM
Should I get the kitten baby formula (for cats) or just leave it? I put a small plastic dog carrier in the shed with a blanket and water for it. It was hiding underneath the tractor and I was afraid it would get stuck in the engine so I put it in the crate. The door is left open of course.

What do I do?
Hi Timber sometimes if a cat with a litter feels unsafe she will spread the kittens around. I guess that is natures way to give some a chance to survive.

We once found a tiny kitten in tea chest in the garage and having observed it at a distance for some hours realised the mother was not coming back.
On this occasion we fed it with puppy milk and put it in a box near the stove . One of our Schnauzers took the kitten and suckled it herself .

I would not leave the kitten alone too long, it will be vulnerable to predictors. I would take it in and feed it milk with the aid of an eye dropper or a syringe.
Puppy milk is ok in an emergency but I think kittens need special cat milk.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-06-2014, 12:28 AM
Since I know next to nothing about cats or kittens, would it be a possibility for the mom to disown it if I were to bring it in at night and put it back in the shed during the day? I have 7 dogs here and not too sure how safe it would be to have it here 24-7. I never thought of her spreading the babies around. I will take a look around the area to see if I can find more or at least hear them. There is definitely only one baby in the shed, I would have heard the others by now.

If I were to bring it in the house, where would I keep him/her?
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2014, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
Since I know next to nothing about cats or kittens, would it be a possibility for the mom to disown it if I were to bring it in at night and put it back in the shed during the day? I have 7 dogs here and not too sure how safe it would be to have it here 24-7. I never thought of her spreading the babies around. I will take a look around the area to see if I can find more or at least hear them. There is definitely only one baby in the shed, I would have heard the others by now.

If I were to bring it in the house, where would I keep him/her?
have you a spare dog carrier that locks? anywhere the dogs cannot get at. the weather is warm enough that it will not be at risk.