View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2011, 08:42 PM

Does anyone else use their phone to get internet on their laptop/PC?

Just as the title says really. Getting a phone with a data plan so that I can plug it into the laptop and use internet on the laptop, provided by the phone.

First time I will have done this and wondered what others experiences of this were?
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

12-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Service providers can get a bit narked by this sort of thing. Tethering, is it's 'technical' term.

Having said that, I do it with my netbook. It works really well with a 3G signal. It took a little research to set up with my systems but is pretty reliable.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-12-2011, 09:41 PM
I hope they've improved the speed now. Ten years ago I did this with my old Erikson phone into the Think pad, it was excruciatingly SLOW, I used it mainly when I was away from home in the evenings and you could literally click on Explorer and go make a cup of tea and come back and it might just have connected, and then every time you went to a new web site the same wait. I got fed up in the end and rarely used it. I'm sure it is a lot faster now (but I doubt it's up to broadband speeds.)
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2011, 11:52 AM
I managed to do it once. I have a sony ericson xperia. I really need a computer bod to show me how to do it.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-12-2011, 12:39 PM
I do it with My nokia N8 ..
When i remember the cable that is ..lol
Some phones can act as a wifi hub which sounds ideal ...
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2011, 12:57 PM
If it's a new phone you can downlaod an App which does it for you when you turn it on I use it occasionally with mine and it's ok struggles a bit with sites that have a lot of content
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Baileysblind.

What is the app called please?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by rich c View Post
Service providers can get a bit narked by this sort of thing. Tethering, is it's 'technical' term.

Having said that, I do it with my netbook. It works really well with a 3G signal. It took a little research to set up with my systems but is pretty reliable.
Apparently if you use the cables and not the wifi then its not the same as tethering, so should be ok? Also, its a 3G phone and network I am looking at getting, with all you can eat data plan
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
I hope they've improved the speed now. Ten years ago I did this with my old Erikson phone into the Think pad, it was excruciatingly SLOW, I used it mainly when I was away from home in the evenings and you could literally click on Explorer and go make a cup of tea and come back and it might just have connected, and then every time you went to a new web site the same wait. I got fed up in the end and rarely used it. I'm sure it is a lot faster now (but I doubt it's up to broadband speeds.)
Hopefully things have improved over ten years. I had a Sony Eriksson recently and it was rubbish online, even on the handset! SSSLLLLLLLOOOOWWWW, cut off.....
This one I'm looking at now, looks like it's much better online (on the phone) so hoping it will be the same for on the laptop.
Originally Posted by one.eyed.dog View Post
I managed to do it once. I have a sony ericson xperia. I really need a computer bod to show me how to do it.
Apparently you need to download something to your laptop/PC first, then you can use the phone for your internet supply..
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I do it with My nokia N8 ..
When i remember the cable that is ..lol
Some phones can act as a wifi hub which sounds ideal ...
I think some phones/price plans etc cut off the ability to tether so you need cables but I have heard you can get apps, so you can still do it.
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
If it's a new phone you can downlaod an App which does it for you when you turn it on I use it occasionally with mine and it's ok struggles a bit with sites that have a lot of content
So is that like I was mentioning above? It's an Android phone I think I will be getting.
Originally Posted by one.eyed.dog View Post
Baileysblind.

What is the app called please?
Yes and is it Android?
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 08:30 PM
I'm on HP OS2 but there should be loads on android.

Something like this one: https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result should do the job.

Google android apps on your computer -then search for 3g tethering to computer and it'll bring up a list - some paid some free depends which one takes your fancy

when you've decided go into your market on your phone and search for the name of the app you've decided on
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

15-12-2011, 10:03 AM
hmmm. The Wikipedia article on tethering pretty much concurs with my understanding. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tethering Tethering can be over wifi, Bluetooth or cable connection. Also, even though you've got an 'all you can eat' contract, there may be a clause that forbids tethering.

Personally, I try to avoid any big downloads when I'm using my phone to connect to the net. I figure 'normal' web browsing and email checking won't attract any attention from O2 which is my provider.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >