View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lazydaisy71
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-12-2007, 03:32 PM

Back garden used as toilet, Karla will hold on until we back home any ideas?

When we rescued Karla, she wasn't house trained, we went out for walks every 2-3 hours, but she always waited until we were in our back garden and only if i let her of the lead she is doing her business. I just can't get her to have to do it while she is on the lead. Has anyone an idea what i can do, or should i be happy that she is using the garden instead of the house. What should i do

Please help, thank you and Merry Xmas to everybody
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2007, 03:38 PM
You've trained her to use the garden so she is. I would say that would be welcome. I have two girls who wont use the garden at all so I have to take them out, if they go into kennels they have to be taken out or they simply wont go. That is much more of a problem because I can't just let them out for a wee I have to take them out even if I'm feeling really ill!
I would simply let her out to go to the loo first then take her out for a walk where she can enjoy it without being desparate to go home!
Becky
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2007, 03:38 PM
If you dont mind her going in the garden it's fine I guess.

The only other thing you can do (we did it with our boy as he was the same initially) is to not allow her use of the garden, then when she's out, the minute she starts to sniff anything, praise her verbally and wait for her to go. It takes time and effort, but be patient and reward her when she does go. If you give her no other option, she has no choice, but at least she isn't going in the house.

The garden may just feel safer to her
lazydaisy71
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-12-2007, 03:54 PM
Thank you for your replies, it makes, me feel better. I even tried to leave her on the lead in the garden, but she just refuses to do anything It's true at least she is not using the house, that is a relief. So i must have something right Maybe one of these day's she gets the hang of it and if i can trust her to come back, i might can let her of the lead on our walks. But til then i guess i have to be patient

Thanks for your help
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2007, 06:40 PM
My Shady is 21/2 yrs old and will only go to the toilet in the garden, she has never gone while out on a walk. She is quite an anxious dog though so I think its because she can't relax enough when out to go, but once home feels safe again.
Perhaps your girly only feels safe enough to go at home too.
I don't mind though as it saves carrying full poo bags for miles till you get to the next doggy waste bin or home, like I have to with my other dog.
lazydaisy71
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-12-2007, 10:55 PM
If you see it like that, than i should be thankful, lol. On the other hand, if i think about it, i don't really like to use public toilets and i think it could be the same for some dogs.
However, it don't seem to be the issue of not feeling safe with Karla, i think it's more the lead and that she thinks the walks are just for exercice. I was just used from my previous dogs that they marked their ways, no matter where we walked and that made me think i might do something wrong. But after i thought about it now and heard a few opinions of others it made me relieved. I'll concentrate on other things now, because Karla has a lot to learn and so have I

Thank you for your reply i really appreaciate it
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-12-2007, 11:32 PM
Hi Lazydaisy you could teach Karla to relieve herself on command so that she will go anywhere. Although it is fine for her to go in the garden at the moment there may come a time when she needs to go elsewhere and on a lead .

So find her favourite treat (chicken /cheese maybe) and go out with her then when she is in the middle of relieving herself say 'beclean' in a soft bright voice (or a word of your choice) then immediately she finishes give her lots of praise and a treat. Eventually she should relieve herself on command because to do so is rewarding (assuming she needs to go at the time ) .

If this goes ok you could also buy a thin slip lead to slip on while she is in the middle of 'going' so she gets used to having a lead on at these times, don't forget to praise and treat.

NB If standing by her when she goes, or gently slipping the slip lead on put her off going in any way you should stop at once.
lazydaisy71
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Thanks for that, i never thought about that before and will give it a go. I just know that it puts her of if she got the lead already on, but slipping it on while she does it might works. I'll try it after xmas. Happy xmas