Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-10-2008, 01:06 PM

How to get a dog to play with games/toys

Hi all,
Small update on us is that we are currently fostering a rescue terrier cross (and it looks like it may be a failed fostering as he has made rather an impact on our hearts). He is a young, enthusiastic thing and very puppy like in nature (he is 3) but one funny thing. He doesn't seem to be interested in toys or games. He loves a good run and chase around the garden but tug, balls, squeaky toys the lot leave him cold. Now obviously this isn't the end of the world but it would be nice to have some other ways to play with him and for him to be entertained. Does anyone have any ideas for how to "teach" a dog to enjoy toys and games if that makes sense?!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Have you tried a Kong? if he is interested in food it is a good way to combine the both
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Sorry, yes i didn't explain it very well. The newbie is INCREDIBLY greedy! He is on a strict strict diet now as he was quite chubby! Yes he does like stuffed kongs - it's the only thing i have found so far!
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 01:15 PM
If you find the answer let me know, Diesel is just the same and always has been, never been interested in toys or balls, we have loads of tennis balls that we bought for him that were never touched, Amy has killed them all in the few weeks she has been here
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 01:15 PM
I would try and use the kong like a ball and fill it loosely at the start then gradually pack it in tight. Use the Kong like a ball or a soft toy and get down with dog and have some fun. Tease the dog with the Kong. they soon get the idea then you could introduce other toys while playing with the Kong
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Like your little one Reah came to me with the same problems.
Toys, Games,Chews, Derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr wot.

She does like her hide chews now, but still not interested in games or toys..
Bless I think she lost out on her childhood, but 8 years on she is a very happy soul, just running around.

I hope you find the solution, I never could.

Good luck with your little one xxxxxxxxxxxx
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 07:19 PM
I believe if they havent learnt to play or worse have been told off for playing then it can be difficult
Ben didnt play as a puppy but with a bit of work (and funny looks from everyone in the street) he has learnt
1st I took him out, I play bowed to him then I ran around with a ball looking like (a nutter) I was having the best fun in the world
- Ben sat and watched me
but over time he joined in a bit
I clicker trained him to fetch a ball inside - clicked for any interest in the toy
He also learnt lots from watching and playing with other dogs with toys - he learnt the important bit in fetching is getting the ball back to the people - so now he will sit and wait till other dogs bring the ball back then he steals it out their mouth and brings it back for his reward

Really thinking about it I really taught 'playing' like any other 'job' for him fetching a ball is the same as sitting - something to be rewarded lots

sounds like you are doing great with your failed foster, and a food motivated dog is always going to be easier to train
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
Hi all,
Small update on us is that we are currently fostering a rescue terrier cross (and it looks like it may be a failed fostering as he has made rather an impact on our hearts). He is a young, enthusiastic thing and very puppy like in nature (he is 3) but one funny thing. He doesn't seem to be interested in toys or games. He loves a good run and chase around the garden but tug, balls, squeaky toys the lot leave him cold. Now obviously this isn't the end of the world but it would be nice to have some other ways to play with him and for him to be entertained. Does anyone have any ideas for how to "teach" a dog to enjoy toys and games if that makes sense?!

Perhaps try to incorporate a squeaky toy into a chase around the garden, squeaking it like mad. You might then get him excited just by squeaking the toy.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 09:15 PM
It surprised me on the wag More holiday how many people said they're dogs didn't play. Yet by the end of the session they all found some thing they liked Basically it seemed to be a case of trying things out to see what they liked and building confidence.

Have you come across Whippit games? Basically you get a carriage whip and tie a toy on the end of it. Choose something that you could play tug with. Some dogs liked squeaky toys others preferred soft toys even rabbit skins. you trail the toy along the ground in a big circle for the dog to chase and let them catch it of course. Then you have a game of tug, ask them to leave it so you are in charge and the reward is another game Some dogs wouldn't play tug but enjoyed chasing and some like playing at more of a distance to the owner. The idea was to have fun and teach self control. When the toy is in the air the dog shouldn't jump for it but when its on the ground its his. As you get better control of the toy you can flick it through the air and the dog shouldn't be allowed to take it again until he waits for it to land on the ground.

We also played 'mousey, mousey' In this game you hide a piece of food , the mouse, in your hand. Then let it poke out of the hole, your fingers, so the dog can smell it. you get down on the floor and say mousey mousey in a very excited voice and move your hand around the floor. Then you ping the treat across the floor for the dog to chase. Once they get the idea you can help them to focus by letting the mouse escape if they look away or become distracted.

I'd always assumed you just threw a ball for a dog to fetch but I discovered Dale likes playing with two tennis balls. I kick them around and he 'herds', eyeing them and moving around in an arc or dashing to stop one escaping if I kick it away.

I know Wag More had some books of games to try but there were too many temping books and DVDs so I didn't get any