Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 11:46 AM

Doc says I have arthritis.....

Hi, I have always had what I have called a dodgy knee. It has come and gone since I was little. It used to collapse sometimes during my teenage years. It has however never really given me any real problems but has ached on and off if I have been in a sitting position for a long time (flights etc). For the last couple of weeks I have had problems with pain and tenderness when bending it, going upstairs and getting up off the floor etc.

I have now been to see the doc who has diagnosed arthritis....

He has shown me one excercise to strengthen the muscles and has referred me for physio (wait time about 6 weeks).

I `m not sure what I am feeling at hte moment as I remember my nana and the problems she had .....

Apparently I need to elevate it if sitting down and try to keep it moving with normal use. NOT to do anything silly with it....

So if my writing is slanted it`s cos I have the lappy on my lap and one leg is up in the air!!!!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Hugs, Rach - I know exactly what you're going through xxx
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Aww, i'm sorry to hear that, hopefully it will stay how it is and not get any worse for the forseeable future. x
Penry
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Hi Honey . . . believe me I know what you are going through as I suffer from psoriatic arthritis which has the same symptoms as rheumatoid arthritis . . . .

I don't know if your knees get swollen but if they do see if you can see a rheumatologist and get them asperated (where they draw the nasty fluid off the knee/s) as this did wonders for me.

Big hugs from me
x x
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Anyone any advice regarding exercise and running etc? Not that I do any at the moment? I am also assuming that the lighter I am the easier it will be on my knees. Time for that diet?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 12:12 PM
I've heard that you shouldn't do running with arthritis, especially in the knees as it can make it worse, as it's quite high impact, best to stick to swimming etc I think?!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 12:28 PM
I think you're right there A, you need to do exercises with it which are not weight bearing, because the concussion caused to the knee when running (or even walking if you're clodhoppy!)is pretty horrendous! I don't understand the elevated part though because that is all to do with circulation, i.e. it's easier for your blood to go back up the legs when you've got them raised, than it is standing, but as far as arthritis goes with that when I'm a bit bemused, unless it's a case of resting it, leaving it unweightbearing etc.? Could be that?

There's loads of things on the market for arthritish so maybe start taking some of them? YOu could also wear one of those sports bandages (I swear by them!!), and make sure it's pretty tight, and you'll be amazed how much LESS pain you get on standing and walking. Good luck with it, I hope it doesn't get any worse.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 12:30 PM
My mum is absolutely riddled with arthritis and takes Glucosamine and cod liver oil and the other one i can't remember the name of. Thye have all really helped her as she can't take a lot of pain killers as she has stomach problems!
May be worth starting on the supplements as H said.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Anyone any advice regarding exercise and running etc? Not that I do any at the moment? I am also assuming that the lighter I am the easier it will be on my knees. Time for that diet?
Trampoline ?

It would take the pressure off me a bit too !
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Trampolines aren't good for ladys that have had children...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >