Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-07-2010, 11:43 AM

Hacking cough and gagging

My pup has had this for approx a week, he is being teated with panacur for 7 days in order to eliminate lungworm but it still hanging about, my other 2 dogs are fine and there has been no reports of kennel cough locally.
I am reluctant at present to visit vets as antibiotics i know they will prescribe will be ineffective and also i am concerned that his insurance will use this to wiggle out if he has any future problems in that area.
Any ideas, can dogs just get these symptoms without kennel cough, he is full of energy and is eating normally, we have got him a harness just to eliminate any pulling on a collar further aggravating it.
By the way this is very intermittent and happens approx a dozen times a day, he coughs a couple of times and then almost brings something up, we have looked in for grass/seeds and can see nothing.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 11:51 AM
The first thing I would say is, I've never heard of giving Panacur for 7 days 3 days yes, to eliminate giardia and other worms, and then again 2 weeks after, but 7 days???!!! Are you sure that's right????

I'd be inclined to go to the vet, even if you don't want the ab's it is YOUR perrogative to say that to the vet, it's your puppy, but at least get him checked out and get it confirmed about that wormer, coz I don't think that's right quite honestly! I've heard of 7 days in horses yes, but never in a puppy. Good luck with him. If it's KC I'd be inclined to think the others would be coughing, it's so very contageous, even if they're vaccinated they can still contract it.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
The first thing I would say is, I've never heard of giving Panacur for 7 days 3 days yes, to eliminate giardia and other worms, and then again 2 weeks after, but 7 days???!!! Are you sure that's right????
7 days is the dose for lungworm treatment.
I would agree with a vet trip though, if you feel your vets will just prescribe antibiotics for no reason then it's time to change vets. I know my vets will take my opinion into consideration, I took Casper in with a cough and concerns that it may be lungworm, the vet agreed that it was in the area so we treated for it but she did believe it was more likely to be irritation as he'd been sick after scavenging some food off the counter which mustn't have agreed with him. We decided that the precautionary lungworm treatment wouldn't harm given that it was in the area and didn't put him on any antibiotics as she had no reason to believe it was an infection (no temperature, change in appetite, etc)
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks for that info there Krlry I learn something every day on Dogsey! The only reason I questioned it was when we had to give it for 3 days you see, and when I wanted to do it again, the vet told me I had to wait at least 2 weeks before I could do it again, and one was a puppy, one was an older dog, so I knew it wasn't an age thing when he said it.

At least phone the vet and ask if there is any lungworm in your area then perhaps? I know we now have it down South whereas we never did, but it's all the snails apparently. Do you have a lot of snails about the place or on your walks? Good luck anyway.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Two of my dogs have caught KC at the vet while waiting to go in. It`s that contagious.
So - vet visit needed definitely. But please don`t let him get close to any dogs while there.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Not all dogs with KC need to go on antibiotics, in fact it's better they don't, only when the cough develops into an infection should they get them.
It does sound like KC to me to be honest, it is highly contagious as others have said and it is airbourne.
Becky
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 01:30 PM
I had a pup with KC once, and at the time had two other dogs, neither caught it, just the one, so I'd pop to the vets pronto
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 01:55 PM
At a guess I'd say KC, however unless there is an infection re: chest etc., I don't see the need for AB's, and I would of thought your Vet wouldn't give them either if he is a good Vet.
Your other dogs may likely catch it, but I have had a dog with KC here and two of mine didn't catch it.

Hope things improve soon
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-07-2010, 02:10 PM
so if it is kennel cough then why go to the vets or do they treat it with something other than antibiotics, i have to take one of my other dogs for their boosters today so i will have a chat with the vet and if he agrees take him in tomorrow.
7 days panacur is the treatment for lungworm as stated on here, just a process of elimination as he was due for worming anyway.
So if he has KC then their is no treatment but just a waiting game, never had a dog with KC before and i have had many dogs over many years as someone on this thread said you learn something new every day.
My vet is good but it always seems that antibiotics are always given as a first call same as my doctors to be honest ah well they will not do any harm i guess in the long run.
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-07-2010, 02:18 PM
In unvaccinated dogs (not saying yours is just stating facts) it is possible for KC to develop into Pneumonia which can in its worst cases cause death. If your dog has gotten to that stage then he will definitely need antibiotics.

Not to worry you, but Kennel Cough tends to be most severe in puppies and older dogs and is also very contagious. Kiba's brother recently had kennel cough and almost had to go on a drip because he degenerated that quickly.

Better safe than sorry.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >