Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 12:07 PM

Ministry of Defence training help

Does anyone have any experience of MOD style dog training?

I have struck gold (I think) with a training helper. He trained GSDs for the MOD for a few years and now works on the shooting estate where I live.

I have already started Yogi tracking and obedience training, but would like to know what other help I might be able to get from MOD style dog training? I have wanted to train Yogi to bark on command (at any potential threat) but without any follow up (bite!) and so am keen to ask this guy's help in training that.

I am taking Yogi over to meet him the week after next (as he is on hols next week) and it would be great if I had some ideas in my head by then of what kind of help I would like.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Hey Moobli,

Sounds like you got a good man for the job!
I think you have most of the bases covered with what you are already doing, but just chatting to him could give you some ideas.

With his background, I think he will be very useful in teaching aggression on command, as he will be able to play the bad guy to get Yogi barking at the threat rather than at you.

Let me know how you get on.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 01:19 PM
out of interest Moobli, why do you want to train Yogi to bark at threats? Would he not do that anyway?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by skilaki View Post
Hey Moobli,

Sounds like you got a good man for the job!
I think you have most of the bases covered with what you are already doing, but just chatting to him could give you some ideas.

With his background, I think he will be very useful in teaching aggression on command, as he will be able to play the bad guy to get Yogi barking at the threat rather than at you.

Let me know how you get on.
Thanks Skilaki I am looking forward to having a chat with him, and I guess he will assess Yogi and we can go from there, as to what he thinks he may be capable of doing - and also taking into account what I do (and don't) want to train him. It also makes it so much easier for me, time-wise, with him already living and working on the estate

I will let you know how we get on. (Don't want him to see Cox though, as he might then want to get his hands on him and dismiss Yogi as just a big dopey teddy bear )
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
out of interest Moobli, why do you want to train Yogi to bark at threats? Would he not do that anyway?
Hiya Ramble Don't worry, I am not about to turn my pleasant, friendly, laidback Yogi into a slavering, aggressive monster

I would like to train him to bark at a threat as he only barks at the moment if the other dogs bark. He is a very quiet dog in general, and as I walk alone in remote places a lot of the time, it would be great to have a "bark on command" which is directed AT someone, rather than him looking at me iyswim.

Hubby is quite keen on the idea of training him to do some kind of personal protection, but I am in two minds about that one at the moment.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Hiya Ramble Don't worry, I am not about to turn my pleasant, friendly, laidback Yogi into a slavering, aggressive monster

I would like to train him to bark at a threat as he only barks at the moment if the other dogs bark. He is a very quiet dog in general, and as I walk alone in remote places a lot of the time, it would be great to have a "bark on command" which is directed AT someone, rather than him looking at me iyswim.

Hubby is quite keen on the idea of training him to do some kind of personal protection, but I am in two minds about that one at the moment.
I didn't think for a moment that you were,nor do I think you would be able to ..he's too much of a yummy teddy bear!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Must admit, would love to be able to do this with Max. I can get them to bark on command, but it's not a one word scenario, and it's directed at me usually!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I didn't think for a moment that you were,nor do I think you would be able to ..he's too much of a yummy teddy bear!
The one downside to your new and most gorgeous Tango, is that you now probably won't have a big teddy bear GSD of your own anytime soon
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Must admit, would love to be able to do this with Max. I can get them to bark on command, but it's not a one word scenario, and it's directed at me usually!
I will pass on any tips I get Iso.
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-04-2009, 04:52 PM

Police dog training for a 'General Service' dog requires the dog to attack only when threatened, they are usually trained to attack one arm and this is the arm that wears the sleeve during training (often the right arm as most people are right handed and would probably carry a knife with). Training is usually done these days by high motivation for a toy etc in a very positive way and the dogs see training as a game- though when they get eager they can become difficult to call off. Most of these dogs are fine around people when every thing's calm. They can be a problem to re-home if they fail to be 'licenced' for work. They are known as 'compliant'. Non compliant dogs are less common and are trained to attack on command.

Please don't consider training your dog to do any of the above.

Tracking should also be based on positive reward as well and most dogs will really enjoy this. Barking on command could be very useful as few people would come near a barking dog and he will probably think its a great game.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >