Our sister sites
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2008, 02:26 PM

Potty training

My son is 3 now, and stubborn as anything
Hes ready for potty training, and will go, anywhere but on the potty that is

He seems to only use the potty when Hes got no cloths on at all, as soon as you put pants,trousers or both on him he seems to forget hes not wearing a nappie

Sometimes he gets so worked up that I havent put a nappy on him that he will stand there and almost perposely wet himself

Any tips, hints or advice would be much appreciated
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2008, 02:38 PM
You could try set times for him to sit on the potty and give him a book or try the big toilet with a childrens toilet seat and tell him he is a big boy. I always found bribery worked

Don't worry about it, it will happen. One day he will just get it
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Make a reward for if he goes on the potty. Like 1 piece of candy or a sticker (if those work for him). Ive also seen parents, if their child is consistantly going to the bathroom for a length of time (however long you set) they get a small toy or something. Put the reward, what ever it may be, in eye sight with him and he ONLY gets it for going on the potty. A friend of mine was able to use the 'big boy underwear' as leverage too. But only one one of her kids as the other one didnt seem to care. She told him that if he went in his big boy underwear that she would take them away. She only took them long enough to get the message across and put a diaper on him in the mean time. Her son didnt like the idea of being a 'baby' again and that worked rather well.

Also what LionHound said would probably help too. Set times where he has to sit on the potty, like shorlty after hes eaten, or had a big drink......

Good Luck! He will get it!
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Thanx guys

Hes driving me insane, as sometimes he will tell me when he needs the toilet other times he wont, grrr

Its all trial and error
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2008, 05:02 PM
My Mum used to sit us on the potty with our toy box in front of us, and left us to play with the toys....as soon as we did somethng, we would be praised and taken off the potty! lol
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2008, 07:44 PM
I'd try a kids seat on the big toilet because he's going to see you using it. With the potty he's the only one using so might wonder what's the point.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2008, 07:52 PM
my advice would be chuck the potty and go straight to the toilet. As once he masters the potty you then have to learn again with the loo,. Get him a step as kids love a step or a box of some sort to stand on.

I would try a bribe of some sort but also when my nephew was learning my sister put a sticker inside the toilet bowl on the side and they played a game called "try and hit the sticker" . Kids love it. She used to go to the loo and take him with her and say "oh i just hit the sticker arn't i clever".

sure you get the gist of it........might be worth a try.

If you battle and get frustrated he will dig his heels in so start by just taking him with you and explaining how clever you are and in a few days just asked if he wants to have a go. Good luck.
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2008, 12:28 PM
With my oldest son I Knew he was ready so just stopped putting nappies on him, no matter how mnay mistakes he had I just changed his trousers and said better luck next time, he didnt get upset and within a week he had mastered the art of toilet training

Reece hasnt been so easy going, I suppose every child is different, we will get there

Thanx for all the advice
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 06:16 AM
Good news, 2 weeks after posting this thread Reece is fully potty trained, even dry most nights now
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Yeay! What a big boy Reece!

They do say once boys learn, they get totally dry quicker than girls.

My son also hated the potty, winnie the pooh got sat there but he wouldn't so went straight for the step and standing up.