View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 04:12 PM

Two incidents with two aggressive, off leash dogs, in two days!

I guess I'm posting this just in case anyone thinks that local parks are 'safe'...

Both my Lab and my brother's girlfriend's Lab have had incidents this weekend in local parks.

Yesterday I took Dexter, my dog, to our local park, and my brother's girlfriend and her Lab, Lucky, joined us there.

It's not a huge park and mostly it's the same crowd of people and their dogs, almost all of whom are friendly.

There was a group of dog owners at the next table to us and among their dogs, was a small white female staff/staff x. I saw her chasing a Lurcher that we know, and thought she looked rather aggressive.

15 minutes later, she suddenly went straight for Dexter - growling, snarling and chasing him and not in a playful way!!

I ran over and shooed her away and then kept a watch. Sure enough, ten minutes later, she sidled up again and went for my dog. This time I yelled at her and once she had backed off, I called over to the table of dog owners and asked whose dog she was. Nobody answered!

Finally one woman scowled and asked why I wanted to know.
'Because she keeps going for my dog' I replied very loudly. Within minutes, the female staff/staff x was put on a leash by someone at the table - they did not protest or argue which suggests to me that they were NOT surprised at my allegation!

Then today, my brother and his girlfriend took Lucky to another local park. While they were there, Lucky (who is ten years old, not bouncy and not remotely aggressive) wandered over to near where there were a group of three men and their dogs.

My brother didn't like the look of the dogs for some reason, and recalled Lucky - but Lucky ignored him...

Then one of the dogs lunged at Lucky and latched onto his neck - thank goodness he got Lucky's collar for the most part.

It took two of the owners to force this dog off and Lucky was bleeding. My brother's girlfriend is taking him to the vet tomorrow in case he needs anti biotics.

One of the men remarked to my brother 'Oh, that's strange, he usually gets on well with Labs'........

My brother and his girlfriend are rather shaken up - up until now they thought I was 'worrying too much' about things like recall, and the possibility of dog fights in local parks.

I keep Dex on a long line which really helps maintain a bit of control. I think anyone whose dog won't come instantly when recalled, should use one of these - just in case...

Who the hell are these owners who MUST KNOW that their dogs are aggressive and yet let them hurtle around parks etc, no long line, no muzzle, no warning to nearby dog owners???
Greenfae
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2011, 04:27 PM
I know exactly what you mean! We were at a local park today, we go there every Sunday and there are always loads of dogs and children and its just a lovely walk. Lilly was off lead, as her recall is great, and we got talking to a guy who had two border collie puppies on leads. They were so cute and we gave them a bit of fuss then her walked on. We got to the field part of the park and there were a few people there including a guy with two border terriers and the guy we'd been talking two earlier.

One of the border terriers made a beeline for the BC's and instantly got really aggressive. To his credit the owner ran over and tried to get hold of his dog but it took him ages to actually grab him, all the while it was snapping at the puppy who yelped and started crying. Once the owner had caught his dog he held it to the ground and shouted "no" at it and then let it go.

It ran toward my dog, who had come and sat at our feet when the fight had broken out. I will freely admit I paniced. I got hold of her collar to keep her with me. The dog came towards her growling and showing its teeth, I put myself in front of my dog and I must have looked horrified because the guy came and got hold of the dog, pulled it a little way away from us and then let it go AGAIN!

They then left the field, both dos off leash still (although, to be fair one seemed fine) A couple of minutes later we heard the noise of a dog fight from the direction he had gone which I assume was the same dog. Why on earth did he not put it on a leash after the first incident?!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 04:59 PM
It's sheer madness, isn't it?

Some people seem to feel that they are not responsible for their dogs once they get into a park!!!

Really nasty for puppies to be snapped at like that - young dogs need good experiences in order to be confident and comfortable around other dogs.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-03-2011, 05:18 PM
idiot behaviour it true

i never have these sorts of experiences in our local parks and popular dog walking fields.

they are pretty much safe.

we dont live in london though.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 05:37 PM
If I had an aggressive dog I would be terrified of letting it off the lead so just cannot understand why owners let their dogs run free with the possibility that they may attack another dog. Absolute idiots. I haven't met any such people/dogs around here thank goodness.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 06:55 PM
People are just stupid and nothing surprises me any more.

I took two of the dogs (Bo the Slovak and Tilly, Yorkie) out earlier after work and they were charged by an off lead Rottweiler and Beagle. Both of them ran towards us barking and growling...the Beagle chased Tilly (who is very nervous around bolshy dogs) in a non-playful way terrifying her and the Rottweiler launched into my poor Bo. Luckily no damage was done, and I got a half arsed "sorry" and "she is usually a good girl (pointing to the Rottweiler)". If you own a powerful breed like a Rottweiler that is not always looked favourably on by the public, is it really a good idea to let it go tearing down a footpath off lead in a popular walking area, to launch into a dog minding its own business?

The Beagle chasing Tilly will also now make her more afraid of other dogs. Brilliant.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Maybe because those sorts of owners wrongly assume their dogs can do no wrong and it's always the others dogs/owners at fault.

I have to be careful with Zane. He does recall immediatelyand he isn't aggressive in any way. But he does like to play splat. I can only imagine what goes through the mind of a small dog owner when their dog is under one of Zane's feet! Fortunately, his best friend is Max - a pony sized Great Dane who can send Zane flying.
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Thats dreadful! Some people don't seem to think of others at all in any situation and it makes me so frustrated!
Glad you're all ok x
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 07:18 AM
We had one this morning (I take woofbags out for a very early morning walk in case I get called into work - which is rare since they know I prefer to nab all those half-days no one else really wants, when hubby comes home mid-day for a quickie - not in THAT sense! - then when there's no work call we do a proper morning jobbie later on)... Jack Russell comes bowling over just as we're leaving the field that's the nearest place to us, sniff yep fine.... goes for him, so we start walking off - the owner's halfway back across the field and comes toodling over with a "morning" and I'm like "your dog's just gone for my dog mate"... "oh sorry" and then dog comes in for round 2 when he's stood there watching!

Nowhere else to go really for the stupid o'clock just in case walk though.

Funnily the ones we usually have problems with are JRs... occasional Yorkies who think they're Rambo but mainly the offlead completely uncontrolled ones are Jack Russells. The only other dog that's taken a pop at him was a JR as well!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 01:25 PM
I think one of the key points in this thread is that you said:

While they were there, Lucky (who is ten years old, not bouncy and not remotely aggressive) wandered over to near where there were a group of three men and their dogs.

So, was this dog under control, it ignored the recall command, so perhaps some work is required by the owner of this dog as well, after all, depending upon your point of view, it may have been invading another dog's personal space?!

Does the responsibility for this incident lie SOLELY with the OTHER people?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >