Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2007, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Sorted :smt023

By the way, I was really lucky with my van, it was already kitted out with custom crates and cooling system, [ as well as raised false floored and carpeted to prevent vibration in the back ], and had a new engine in it [ I have the paperwork, it was kosher ], and it only cost me £1,400 to buy the van ! The Barjo crates will have been nigh on a grand alone, [ six individual spaces ], and the engine replacement which was done just a few months before I bought it was £1,200 ! Previous owners had more money than sense when it came to an asking price for the van

There are some really good deals out there to be had so maybe not as out of reach as you might think
your a lucky so and so, but good on ya, I keep waiting for one of the police dog handlers vans will come up, again fully loaded with stuff, but you got yours for a song, lucky you, that brings me to the next point,

Police dogs spend there working days in vans, if they are not in the van they are working, a well equiped van is the best place for dogs in hot weather, but it must have a cooling system, fans, water, no direct sun beating down on dogs, many people attending shows have this type of thing but sadly many dont,
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2007, 12:09 AM
a bit of common sense at dog shows would help though.
no one said it was a laughing matter but an open car with driver in the front and there calling for the drivers is pure madness.
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2007, 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
There is a huge difference, not least that cars become like an oven in hot weather becuase its a small confined space.

Dogs can die from heatstroke in a minimum of 20 minutes. Perhaps not so `laughable` now with the evidence made clear ?
Actually yes that quote was!! didnt i say when u show u can be stood for upto an hour in full on heat or did you just not read that bit?
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2007, 12:28 AM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
your a lucky so and so, but good on ya, I keep waiting for one of the police dog handlers vans will come up, again fully loaded with stuff,
Like this one currently for sale
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-TRANSIT-1...QQcmdZViewItem

but you got yours for a song, lucky you,
Found mine on Agilitynet, its always worth looking there for already kitted out vehicles

that brings me to the next point,

Police dogs spend there working days in vans, if they are not in the van they are working, a well equiped van is the best place for dogs in hot weather, but it must have a cooling system, fans, water, no direct sun beating down on dogs, many people attending shows have this type of thing but sadly many dont,
And yet there are so many things which can be done to improve a vehicle to keep heat down and not very expensive either. For my last two cars, [ Peugeot 505s ], I bought and fitted heat and light repellant window coatings which made a huge difference inside, and I got a half width gazebo to go over the car then put reflective sheeting on that so enabled air circulation around the whole car while under its own portable shade, plus there are easily obtainable crate fans to circulate air, ventlocks so boots can be open but secure, the already mentioned heat reflective sheeting which can be bought by the metre so as much or as little as needed can be bought to suit size of car, all very low cost things which make a huge difference to the temperature inside a car.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2007, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by SarahJ View Post
Actually yes that quote was!! didnt i say when u show u can be stood for upto an hour in full on heat or did you just not read that bit?
Yes I did, the point I was trying to make is that no matter how hot it is outside with no shade, even a shaded car gets much hotter than the open air temp, [ as the results prove on the link gien ], because its an enclosed space made of metal hence becoming like an oven.

I have`nt just pulled out of runs at shows because of not being prepared to leave the others unattended, I have also pulled out because I felt it was too hot for my dog to do his runs and the same would be the case for not standing in a ring for any length of time if I felt it was too hot to be fair for any of my dogs.
I do have wet coats for them to keep them cool on hot breezeless shadeless days at shows which I can whip off before entering the ring then put back on immediately on leaving the ring, [ which I have done at companion shows as well as agility shows for going to and from the ring ], and I dont exercise them in extreme heat, I wait for it to cool down later on in the day.
A wetcoat for any dog which doesnt cope well in hot weather would help a great deal if there is no shade or its been taken up by people who got there first, [ whom I would`nt call selfish myself if they are protecting their dogs from heatstroke ! ].
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2007, 12:43 AM
thanks for that patch, just off to looky see the car/van on ebay,
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2007, 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
a bit of common sense at dog shows would help though.
no one said it was a laughing matter but an open car with driver in the front and there calling for the drivers is pure madness.
My response on that front was to this :

Originally Posted by SarahJ View Post
lol i have to laugh what is the difference in leaving a dog in a 'greenhouse' car and standing your dog in full on heat with no shade/breeze whatsoever for many times upto an hour in a ring!!
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4