Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by bribiba View Post
I did not mean people at dog shows of course they have a choice..I meant people in general...everyone here is a DOG lover and we all feel the same, but you cannot all say you have never had cause to leave your dogs in a car for a few minutes be honest....

Unnattended in any vehicle not kitted out to provide good enough protection for them against hot weather, no never.
Often I would be on the way back from a show or a walk and go past a shop I could do with going in to but rather than leave them in a hot car I would take them home then go back to the shop. I wont risk dogs lives just to save myself some `inconvenience`, so no I have never done it. You asked for honest, there you have it.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
I think there is a vast diff between a car and a van more so a van with AC and windows covered and fans, the two are a million miles apart, I love it when there is someone at a show on a hot day with this set up,
YOU WILL FIND ME IN THE AC VAN BETWEEN CLASSES WITH THE DOGS, anyones dogs just so long as its a good set up in the van, I hate the heat,
If you are ever down this way you are welcome to pull up a deck chair under the shade, I also have a [ big enough for a Rottie ], heat repellant soft crate should you have a dog with you who would like to have a quiet cool snooze in it
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Could I just ask about the air con you're talking about. I have this in my car (Peugeot Partner) but it doesn't work without the engine running. Do you leave your vans running while you're in the showground? Does this not cause the engine to overheat and possibly increase the temperature for other cars nearby?
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Could I just ask about the air con you're talking about. I have this in my car (Peugeot Partner) but it doesn't work without the engine running. Do you leave your vans running while you're in the showground? Does this not cause the engine to overheat and possibly increase the temperature for other cars nearby?
Cant answer for others but my van has had independant fan wiring fitted with its own fan set-up so its not reliant on the engine running. [ The previous owners had it done, they are breeders / Showers so invested in having it done for their dogs ].

There are also purpose made crate fans which are very effective of course.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
If you are ever down this way you are welcome to pull up a deck chair under the shade, I also have a [ big enough for a Rottie ], heat repellant soft crate should you have a dog with you who would like to have a quiet cool snooze in it
super I will hold you to that if we are ever at the same venue, oh sure Kaos would be delighted too, he hates the heat, would love to have a set up like you and fran have but dont have a van I do have AC in the car but its not really the same as the kind of thing you both have, one day though I will have it, then your all welcome at mine
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
super I will hold you to that if we are ever at the same venue, oh sure Kaos would be delighted too, he hates the heat, would love to have a set up like you and fran have but dont have a van I do have AC in the car but its not really the same as the kind of thing you both have, one day though I will have it, then your all welcome at mine
Sorted :smt023

By the way, I was really lucky with my van, it was already kitted out with custom crates and cooling system, [ as well as raised false floored and carpeted to prevent vibration in the back ], and had a new engine in it [ I have the paperwork, it was kosher ], and it only cost me £1,400 to buy the van ! The Barjo crates will have been nigh on a grand alone, [ six individual spaces ], and the engine replacement which was done just a few months before I bought it was £1,200 ! Previous owners had more money than sense when it came to an asking price for the van

There are some really good deals out there to be had so maybe not as out of reach as you might think
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2007, 11:32 PM
lol i have to laugh what is the difference in leaving a dog in a 'greenhouse' car and standing your dog in full on heat with no shade/breeze whatsoever for many times upto an hour in a ring!! i was at southern counties/leeds/etc last year and it was baking in the ring i could barely move let alone my dog!!! What shade available is usually taken up with selfish people with larger than large crates so you couldnt even squeeze a pug near them!! and how we dare not take up their grooming space

I have seen some self righteous people moan their head off about dogs in cars at shows yet have their dogs in full on heat in the summer shows with no shade whatsoever and i cant see any difference...
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 11:50 PM
you would think there would be provisions made for baking hot days,wouldnt you x
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 11:57 PM
They announced it over the tannoy at our local show and gave our registration out I was livid Ian was asleep in the front seat and we had the back tail gate wide open. When I queried it was told dogs in cars was dangerous.....bloody morons
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2007, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by SarahJ View Post
lol i have to laugh what is the difference in leaving a dog in a 'greenhouse' car and standing your dog in full on heat with no shade/breeze whatsoever for many times upto an hour in a ring!! i was at southern counties/leeds/etc last year and it was baking in the ring i could barely move let alone my dog!!! What shade available is usually taken up with selfish people with larger than large crates so you couldnt even squeeze a pug near them!! and how we dare not take up their grooming space

I have seen some self righteous people moan their head off about dogs in cars at shows yet have their dogs in full on heat in the summer shows with no shade whatsoever and i cant see any difference...
There is a huge difference, not least that cars become like an oven in hot weather becuase its a small confined space.

http://helpinganimals.com/animalsHome_dogs_hot.asp

"Dogs can suffer and die when left inside parked cars, even on mildly warm days. On a 78-degree day, the temperature inside a shaded car is 90 degrees, while the inside of a car parked in the sun can reach 160 degrees in minutes. Animals can succumb to heatstroke in just 15 minutes."

------------------------------

"Have you ever noticed how hot it can get inside a car on a summer day — far hotter than it is outside? That's because a car acts like a greenhouse, trapping the sun's heat.

An Animal Protection Institute study shows that even moderately warm temperatures outside can quickly lead to deadly temperatures inside a closed car.

API's study, conducted during a local heat wave, compared an outside temperature of a shaded area with the inside of an automobile in three states: fully closed, with four windows cracked, and with two windows cracked. Inside temperatures were measured with an indoor/outdoor thermometer and an oven thermometer (both readings are given). All temperatures use the Fahrenheit scale."

The research results are here, they dont copy/paste clearly because of the format

http://www.mydogiscool.com/x_car_study.php

-----------------------------------

RSPCA :

# In warm sunny weather cars become ovens, with temperatures soaring to 120°F/49°C or even higher. Because of this, the RSPCA advises that animals are never left inside cars.

# If an animal left in a car is panting for breath it may be starting to suffer from heatstroke, which can kill an animal very quickly.

# Leaving windows open or putting a bowl of water in the car does not help.

# Owners who put an animal at risk by leaving it inside a locked car could face prosecution.

# Please help us get this message across this summer. It will save more dogs from suffering and avoid the need for us to prosecute owners.

Dogs can die from heatstroke in a minimum of 20 minutes. If you see a dog left inside a parked car on a warm day, please contact the police on 999 for assistance. In the event of the police being unable to attend, please contact our 24-hour National Cruelty and Advice telephone line on: 0870 55 55 999.

-------------------------------

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/c...re/5142078.stm

Dog dies inside car at Royal Show
A dog died in a car and three more were rescued from a van left in the heat at the Royal Show in Warwickshire.

RSPCA inspectors and police broke into the BMW car to try and remove the whippet but it had already died. The temperature inside the car was 47C .

The terrier dogs were removed from a van at the showground. RSPCA inspector Lee Hopgood said the incidents were being investigated.

"We cannot understand why we are still finding dogs in cars," he said.

'Irresponsible and illegal'

He said: "We are all devastated that a dog has lost its life because it was left in the sweltering heat of a car.

"It is irresponsible and illegal to leave a dog in a hot car."

People should not take their dogs with them when they attend summer shows, he added.

"Yesterday, we issued numerous verbal warnings to dog owners and my inspectors, who are patrolling the five car parks, cannot understand why we are constantly finding dogs left in cars."

-----------------------------------

Perhaps not so `laughable` now with the evidence made clear ?
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >