Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fluffy1893
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2018, 10:46 PM

Puppy Food Choices

Ok, so we feed our shepherd mix puppy (almost 5 months old) Large Breed Puppy food. We noticed he had loose stool and generally didn't like the food. So after feeding it for 2-3 weeks we slowly switched to something else. He has been eating this new food for a month now, but has only gained 3pounds (1.4kilos) in that month. The vet says if he hasn't gained 10pounds (4.5kilos) in the next 30 days we need to switch to a different large breed puppy food. I don't like the idea of switching his food again but know to do it slowly, and understand it needs to be done, especially if he isn't gaining weight. What do you currently feed and what do you like about it and don't like??
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-03-2018, 11:23 PM
You don't say what food you are feeding, nor do you say if it's the same food his breeder was feeding.
You say he had loose stools but for how long? How mny times a day are you feeding?
It's pointless to just keep changing foods.
I'm guessing you feed kibble so can't really recommend what to feed other than to say go for a good quality preferably grain free food. I feed all my dogs a raw food diet which they love but tbh they'd probably eat anything.
fluffy1893
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2018, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
You don't say what food you are feeding, nor do you say if it's the same food his breeder was feeding.
You say he had loose stools but for how long? How mny times a day are you feeding?
It's pointless to just keep changing foods.
I'm guessing you feed kibble so can't really recommend what to feed other than to say go for a good quality preferably grain free food. I feed all my dogs a raw food diet which they love but tbh they'd probably eat anything.
When we got him, we were given a little sandwich baggy of food. We were told it was a mix of Purina Puppy Chow and Purina Dog Chow. We were told they mix it with some wet food and warm water. Because we were not told the ratios, and were only given enough food for 1 feeding, we had to switch him right away. We bough a bag of Performatrin Ultra Grain Free Large Breed Puppy. We knew that switching him right away would cause some issues. But he really didn't like the food and it caused loose stool for about 3 weeks. The vet recommended Pro Plan Focus Large Breed Puppy so we bought a bag and slowly switched over the course of 7 days. He really enjoys this food, eats everything in his bowl. However, when we took him for his last set of needles, he was slightly underweight. It really shocked us because he was perfectly healthy the month before at his previous needles. The vet said it could be he just hit a lull in his growth, or it could be the food. Even though he seems to be enjoying the food, it could just not agree with him. She suggested we keep feeding it, because you are right, we don't want to keep switching his food, but if he has not gained enough weight we will need to try a different food. The vet just said anything large breed puppy would be good.
He does not have worms or parasites. And we are feeding him more than enough. He gets 2 cups of kibble and 7 ounces of wet food twice a day.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2018, 02:00 AM
Try giving raw green tripe as one of his his feeds. It is good for body building, gentle on digestion and they love it. You can buy it online or in some petstores.

How many feeds a day are you feeding?
fluffy1893
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-03-2018, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Try giving raw green tripe as one of his his feeds. It is good for body building, gentle on digestion and they love it. You can buy it online or in some petstores.

How many feeds a day are you feeding?
We are doing 2 feeds a day. He is currently getting raw as a treat and we didn't really want to do raw for his meals.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-03-2018, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by fluffy1893 View Post
We are doing 2 feeds a day. He is currently getting raw as a treat and we didn't really want to do raw for his meals.
You can buy frozen minced raw tripe in pets at home, keep it in the freezer and just mix a handful in with his normal food. That generally encourages them to eat whatever you give them to get at the tripe. Be warned though even frozen it smells awful. You can stop using it whenever you want to.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2018, 03:26 PM
This may be a silly question, but are you feeding him enough?

He's gained a little weight, so my first thought is that there's unlikely to be anything major wrong, but that the amount of food given isn't enough for his needs
fluffy1893
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-03-2018, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
This may be a silly question, but are you feeding him enough?

He's gained a little weight, so my first thought is that there's unlikely to be anything major wrong, but that the amount of food given isn't enough for his needs
We were following the bag instructions for the kibble, then adding the wet food on top. The vet is the one who recommended increasing both. So he now gets 2 cups kibble, and 7 ounces wet twice a day for a total of 4 cups of kibble and 14 ounces of wet.
Going by what the vet said, then what I looked up on my own...some dogs don't get along with all foods. Even though he likes the food and it is a large breed puppy formula, it could just not agree with his system or not give him what he needs nutritionally. So, if he hasn't gained the 10lbs (4.5kilos) by April 15, we are going to follow the vet's advice and slowly switch to another food. We do not want to feed a 100% raw diet. And we did try a premium grain free kibble when we first got him. It caused really loose stool and he really didn't like eating it. That's why we switched to what he is eating now (Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy).
I get that switching foods is not ideal, nor do we really want to switch him foods. However, if he is not gaining weight we will need too.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2018, 12:16 AM
I feed my pups 3 meals a day until 6 months then drop to two. The feeding on foodbags is only a guideline. Individual dogs may require more (or less) than suggested. Your pup obviously needs more. I would also split his meals into 3.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2018, 08:35 AM
It can take a while to find a food that suits and I agree that if your pup is under 6 months, three meals a day would be better. It doesn't mean giving extra, but dividing what you are feeding into three instead of two.

If you've only just increased the quantity, then it will take time to show through on his weight.

Many of us feed kibble and/or wet so don't worry about not wanting to feed a raw diet.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >