View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
seablue4u
New Member!
Female 

16-12-2017, 03:05 AM

Dog won't leave my room or drink from bowl.

I don't know if this is the right thread to post this but I'm desperate. Our family dog won't interact with my dad and brother outside my room. The dog picked me as his person because he lived with all women and only came out of the bathroom when his owner came home from work. So he spent 12-16 hours locked in a bathroom. He won't stay in a room if I'm not there with him. I know there's a form of separation anxiety there. If I close the bedroom door and he is on the other side he cries til I open. I'd love for him to stay in a room with my brother and dad, my brother especially so that he knows he is in a safe place other than my room. I just don't know how?

My other problem is that he won't drink from a bowl but drinks from the shower and outside, but he eats from his bowl.

Any advice is welcome
Ptolemy82
New Member!
Male 

16-12-2017, 06:28 PM
I'm guessing that you've recently got him and that may account for the change in circumstances.

Suggestions.

Teach him "sit/stay" or "down/stay".

When you start, don't go more than about three feet away and always stay in sight, go back and reward him for being where you asked him to be (i.e., don't call him to you).

When he's comfortable with 3 feet (will do 5 out of 5) in various rooms, i.e., bedroom(s), bathroom, upstairs landing, lounge, kitchen, hall, any other rooms (teaching him that "stay" means the same, no matter which room), then progress to 5/6 feet and repeat, all rooms, 5/5.

Now, you'll need to set this up, go back to three feet. Go about three feet away and always stay in sight, go back to where you asked him to be, tell him how good he's been and your Dad/brother gives him the reward.

Go at the dog's pace. If he can't do 5/5, go back to the "previous place" get him to do 5/5 and try to move on again.

When he's comfortable with someone else treating him, extend the distance to 5/6 feet. Set him up so that the 5/6 feet means that you are then standing in a doorway. Do 5/5. Then, instead of just standing in the doorway, move so that no more than half your body goes out of sight.

Move towards going completely out of sight for one second, various rooms, different people rewarding him. In the hall, he stays in the hall, you go up 2/3 stairs, etc.

Teach him "touch" (touch your hand for a reward). Let him be comfortable doing it with you alone, then someone else in the household, then extend to others. This enables him to go at his own pace and he can choose which hands he will go to and whether he goes or not.

Try various bowls, different materials, different sizes. Fill the bowl from the shower, turn the shower off, give him the bowl, add water to his food, have a bowl outside to catch rainwater and top it up.

Time and patience will help.