Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Motownruncoach
New Member!
Male 

29-11-2017, 01:46 AM

Trying to determine breed

We are thinking about adopting this dog. Any ideas on breed(s)?
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	5802  
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-11-2017, 02:36 AM
Originally Posted by Motownruncoach View Post
We are thinking about adopting this dog. Any ideas on breed(s)?
Does it matter?
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-11-2017, 09:05 AM
Don't get obsessed about breed types and worry more about temprement. If you want a particular breed then go to a recognised breeder. I have lost count how many times this question has been asked by Americans on here. Nearly every new USA member asks the same question.
Oh as you asked not seeing how big the dog is I would guess a GT Dane/Boxer cross. In other words it is a mongrel
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2017, 09:13 AM
So back to my querry of: Why don't rescues do DNA to find out what the breeds are if they are a mixed breed. Basically a good ole mongrel. Which is what most of them are from rescues. The reason why people ask is because somewhen down the line of having a rescue they may suddenly change temperament and be slightly iffy in their demeanour. I know this from having them through my hands at training classes. Just incase you are wondering.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2017, 03:09 PM
No idea on what the boy is. I can well understand why rescues don't DNA test. The costs would have to be passed on and it ain't that cheap to get a dog from a rescue centre. If costs were to rise, I imagine most would just go down the breeder route.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-11-2017, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
No idea on what the boy is. I can well understand why rescues don't DNA test. The costs would have to be passed on and it ain't that cheap to get a dog from a rescue centre. If costs were to rise, I imagine most would just go down the breeder route.
Good points. They have to get their shots and be chipped. As a minimum. IIRC, that cost us the better part of £150 squid. The best part is that you know you have done the right thing giving a dog a good home.
Dachshundmom89
New Member!
Female 

07-12-2017, 06:00 PM
I personally think it is important to know the breed of dog because there are breeds out there that do not mix well with children or other animals, are 1 person dogs, etc. That's why breeders of purebreds want you to educate yourself before purchasing their pups. I would not recommend GSDs to someone who has never owned one unless they are properly educated about them.

Anyway, I see boxer (based off the coloring), perhaps hound in there too. I am definitely not an expert but you could do an DNA test to help determine what breeds are in this dog.
Dachshundmom89
New Member!
Female 

07-12-2017, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
The best part is that you know you have done the right thing giving a dog a good home.
While this is key, you have to make sure you're the right fit for said dog.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-12-2017, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by Dachshundmom89 View Post
While this is key, you have to make sure you're the right fit for said dog.
It has worked out well for us.
Dachshundmom89
New Member!
Female 

13-12-2017, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
It has worked out well for us.
I work with rehoming dogs and we always make sure the person is a right fit for our dogs. We are very happy people are wanting to adopt dogs of all ages but it's our responsibility to make sure the dog will benefit from it's new home. We look into the breed of dogs people have had experience with. We recently had a beautiful longhair dachshund come in and had many people calling about him, he had home visits with compatible people and HE ended up picking his own home. That's why I said it is key to make sure you're a fit for said dog.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >