View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nicky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2015, 06:43 PM

What's the most effective way to clear a garden border?

Hi All,

My garden's really overgrown, I've been slowly working on it, the next step is to dig the borders. They're full of tall weeds, tall grass, a few scattered ferns and brambles. I've cut a lot back, but want to get the roots out. I only have a shovel, I can buy more equipment but don't have a big budget. Is there a tool, method, or anything you can suggest that would make this easier? It's quite a daunting task! I don't know what I'll do with the borders once they're cleared, but they really can't stay the way they are.

Thanks!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2015, 07:19 PM
I use a twist Weeder for any weeds in mine,cheap as chips and really good Sorry can't post a link but they are available on ebay I have my borders polythened and barked.Mostly hit rock in my garden I live on The Rock Road I have potted plants in the beds and some ornaments,looks lovely and hassle free
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2015, 08:03 PM
We've always pulled out what we can then use a fork to loosen the ground and pull some more. After that, just dig over with a spade.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2015, 08:37 PM
I've even used a butcher knife to cut through really dense roots. You need to take it slowly and carefully, you don't want the knife to snap.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-06-2015, 09:38 PM
A fork and possibly ratchet pruner for thick roots that you can't dig out, I had roots that covered the whole width of the garden. Dug out what I could and lopped the rest off.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2015, 01:29 AM
A nightmare for me was peppermint. Think it was passive aggression on my Dad's part He gave me four small mint plants one time without a warning how fast they mutate. Within a year they had criss-crossed all the plant beds choking most of the surrounding plants. I was pulling up miles of mint root. Even now a rogue one pops up from time to time.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2015, 07:24 AM
Teist weeders are very good. We have one and it is ok. Also if you make the ground around the root wet they come out easier.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2015, 07:47 AM
Want to break a standard weeding device? Try using it to get up roots of bushes etc. Wait for a heavy rain and get your pitchfork and shovel be ready to use some muscle. Given time and effort, you should be able to get most of the roots up.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2015, 05:26 PM
The only problem is that after a heavy rain you're going to have earthworm bits flying in every direction...ewwww, but yes the ground will definitely be easier to work with.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2015, 05:52 AM
What a grand crowd you are with not one suggestion of weedkiller....I am working new ground here and the only easy bit of ground was the patch I covered with black plastic last autumn.. NB There will be seeds that will be activated by the digging so they will come up but weaker each time. Enjoy the achievement! I love working the soil ....