Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 10:52 PM

Breeders & Potential Owners.

Hi,

I thought that I would post this question as I have been thinking about this for awhile and it come to mind once more upon reading another thread about a particulaly vicious attack in Antrim, Northern Ireland.

Do you think that ALL potental dog owners should be at the least intervied by the breeder before they are permitted to buy thier dog?

When I went to buy Jess the breeder did this, and she believed us to be good potential owners, she said she would not of sold us a puppy if she thought otherwise and she has turned away unsuitible owners in the past.

I am not saying a breeder should do police- type checks but at least ask questions and only sell a puppy if they genuinely believe the potential owners to be good people.

I know of alot of breeders who would only sell to good people and if we ever breed Jess we would rather keep all of the pups than sell to an unsuitable people.

I am particulaly interested in breeders opinions on this.

Thanks guys,

kye xxx
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 11:02 PM
that goes without saying i get to know my owners very well .......people come and visit and i don't go on first inpressions i have to know some one

luckily my pups are sold through word of mouth normally to people i already know something about

if i didn't think it was the right home the pup won't go end of
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 11:04 PM
Yes.. Breeders should do their homework on the potential new owners just as much as the potential owners should do their homework on the breed they are getting/want
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 11:09 PM
If more breeders home-checked and got vet references etc like the better Rescues do, less dogs would ever end up in those Rescues and needing to be placed with the care that far too many breeders *should* have used in the first place but did`nt bother with.

Thats the `in a nutshell` version of my view on this :smt001
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

08-11-2006, 11:25 PM
Most reputable breeders do this. But with the best will in the world they can make a mistake its like interviewing someone for a job you hope you have picked the right person, same with someone buying a puppy . But sometimes it goes wrong unfortunately. I think the problem is more to the owners not having done their research as to the right breed for them before going ahead and getting a breed that is not the right one for them and that is why so many dogs end up in rescue. That is only my humble opinion.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-11-2006, 11:26 PM
well there are loads of irresponsible breeders out there just selling to anyone that comes along. If this dog was a pitbull it obviously shouldn't have been around in the first place anyway as they are banned and all existing dogs were neutered at the time of the ban. So this one was obviously from people operating outside the law anyway, and was bred by people operating outside the law, so as long as they could find somebody to buy their pups I don't think they would have been that bothered who they were or what they were like.
These types of people will always operate outside the law and you simply cannot regulate them.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2006, 11:36 PM
I agree,responsible breeders do vet potenial owners quite well.It is the irresponsible ones who don't bother and can't wait for the cash,once they have there money they couldn't care less where the pup ends up.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2006, 12:04 AM
I have only bred two litters in the 20 plus years that I have owned them. I make potential owners come to my premises before the birth to meet the adults. As you all know, Setters are very bouncy and quite slobbery at times, if the visitors are unable to cope with one or two of my adults making friends with them then they are not going to have one of my pups. This may seem hard but I feel it is my duty to ensure that the pups go to forever homes where they are not going to be excluded from being in the family because they become large hairy dogs that dribble. I also make the new owners sign a declaration that the dog must be returned to me at any time during its life if they are no longer able to keep it, if they are not prepared to sign then they can't have one. I'm very lucky in that I have waiting lists for my pups and I only breed if I want something for myself. I'm also fortunate that the owners of both litters have kept in touch and have provided exactly the kind of homes I would wish for. It really does pay to do your homework and be prepared to say no if you have any reservations about them. It makes me so cross when you hear of so called reputable breeders that get the money and then have nothing to do with the new owners and any problems they may encounter.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-11-2006, 12:08 AM
when I got my 2 the breeder told me that someone had said to her they didn't want the pup they had chosen after all as they only got pups in the summmer!!!!
She thought she had done a good job at grilling them thoroughly, yet they still slipped through her net. Can you imagine what would have happened the first time it ate the carpet or wrecked the kitchen?
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2006, 12:20 AM
At the end of the day we can all be fooled by people. Most of us expect people to be as honest as we are but, unfortunately, there will always be a possibility of us misjudging someone. Although I check people out as much as possible I have to accept that there could be one person that could slip through the net if they put on an act in front of me and lied through their teeth about their experience of the breed and the home that they will be providing. If a breeder has done everything in their power to try to make sure the home offered is of the expected standard then it must be absolutely heartbreaking to discover that you have made an error in judgement.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >