View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 08:12 PM

Let a dog sniff my hand and we both got an electric shock! Interesting behaviour.

At the HTM show last weekend, I met a friend and her Papilion.

Before stroking the dog, I said hello to him and let him sniff my hand first, but when I approached his nose we both got an electric shock that we both felt AND heard! It was quite odd! I don't think that's ever happened to me before when I've let a dog sniff my hand.

Leo (the Pap) started growling at me and was really not impressed! He wouldn't come near me for about 10 minutes!

He eventually came round in his own time and his owner gave me some fresh chicken to give to him to show him that I meant no harm!

It was rather odd, I must say!

And no, he did NOT have an electric shock collar on!!!

Has this ever happened to anyone else when letting a dog sniff your hand?
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Only with my own dogs.

Tess has received a shock from my hand on a few occasions. She finds it rather alarming and keeps away from me for a bit when it happens.

Polo got a few shocks off me only yesterday as it happens. I was using the vacuum cleaner and he touched my hand and I felt it! He kept coming back for more and seemed curious but I had to tell him to go away as I found it unpleasant. I keep getting shocks off the vacuum cleaner.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 09:32 PM
ouch!!
I get it sometimes with people and things - but I guess no reason why it shouldnt happen with dogs

Must have given you both a bit of a fright!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Yes!! I gave & received a shock to an ant the other day!!

My garden chairs have nylon covers & I was wearing my crocs (not sure if they are relevant!!)
Tilly was chasing ants on the patio & I went to point at one. Just as my finger hit the pavement I felt/heard the shock & the ant keeled over
I've done it a few times to Tilly & made her fur stand on end too or when I've put her lead on & we both jumped!!
I also get shocks from metal supermarket shelves & the car door I always shut the car door by the pushing the window now
I am a walking static magnet!!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 09:43 PM
It has happened with me and Siren sometimes - when I lift her out of the van!

She does not react outwardly - I do as it flippin' hurts!!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 09:43 PM
What shoes were you wearing at the time?
I get static shocks a lot, and even more so when wearing certain footwear - in particular Crocs when I'm wearing them indoors.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 09:55 PM
We used to deliberately give each other shocks as kids by wearing flipflops and dragging our feet across the carpet and then touching someone.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 07:15 AM
It happens to me quite often, and does make me and the dogs jump, but looking at the replys it does look like the crocs help us build up the static. We dont tend to have carpets (just tiles) but I should think the mix of crocs and carpets would really build up the static
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 07:16 AM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
We used to deliberately give each other shocks as kids by wearing flipflops and dragging our feet across the carpet and then touching someone.
Oh yes I had forgoten, we used to do that
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Its static electricity which can be built up by walking on certain types of carpet. Best to earth yourself first by touching something metal attached to ther ground.

tumbleweed
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >